Should I bathe my beardie before/during brumation?

Flobump

Beardie name(s)
Irwin
Hi, I’m new here. My daughter is temporarily working in another state and left her 5 year old beardie, Irwin, with me. So far, so good, but I think he may be about to or going into brumation - stays in one place for days, just moved into his log hide yesterday - but he hasn’t had a bath in awhile ( he doesn’t like them) and I feel like maybe I should bathe him now before he really settles in to brumate, and also clean his enclosure as well. I don’t want to traumatize him and interrupt his brumation process, but I want to be sure I am taking good care of him and doing the right thing. Would giving him a bath now be a big No or shoild I do it before he gets futher into this process? Any advice much appreciated!!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Not a "big no" but beardies generally do not need to have baths regardless of brumation. If he and his tank are not dirty in any way I would just let him be and not bother with it.

You might want to offer something to drink from time to time, though.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Not a "big no" but beardies generally do not need to have baths regardless of brumation. If he and his tank are not dirty in any way I would just let him be and not bother with it.

The exact advice I was going to give 🙂

Flobump

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Irwin

Thanks so much!

Flobump

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Irwin

Thanks so much!
You know, there is so much conflicting info out there - I often read that a beardie should be bathed 3 times a week but some say once a month and then some say not needed. That’s why I came to this forum, so thanks again, but any advice on the best way to discern what is legit when googling beardie issues? Thanks from a newbie beardie mom!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your welcome. The only reason to give a bath is if they are dirty or have poop on them, or if they will drink in a bath (most won't)
Also be aware that beardies use the same muscle group to walk and to breathe, they can't do both at once. So it goes without saying, they can't swim and breathe either. So if you do give a bath keep it shallow and watch your beardie the whole time.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
You know, there is so much conflicting info out there - I often read that a beardie should be bathed 3 times a week but some say once a month and then some say not needed. That’s why I came to this forum, so thanks again, but any advice on the best way to discern what is legit when googling beardie issues? Thanks from a newbie beardie mom!
I see where you are coming from. The Internet is great for spreading information fast but also there is sooo much bad and wrong information out there.
Honestly I do not even google anymore, I come straight here on the forum. Here you can get info from people that have kept bearded dragons for decades. Sure different people have different opinions on the forum also but there are also more than one way to do things "right", especially in regards to loose substrate and mvbs ;)

You can bath your dragon as much as you want if he likes it. Most dragons do not and get stressed and upset, though.
Just do not stress him out for no reason and better find something he enjoys!
My dragon does not like baths but he likes to get rubbed lightly with a wet towel :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most don't need baths, but you can give a bath from time to time. Some just don't like them at all &
some love them. If your dragon is trying to brumate, there really isn't any need in baths right now.

Tracie

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Agreeing with Tracie and xp, they don't need baths unless they are dirty or if they have poop on them. sometimes they drink it(I know mine drinks out of the bath when I take her one.)As long as the enclosure is clean it shouldn't be a problem 🙂.

pooper

Your welcome. The only reason to give a bath is if they are dirty or have poop on them, or if they will drink in a bath (most won't)
Also be aware that beardies use the same muscle group to walk and to breathe, they can't do both at once. So it goes without saying, they can't swim and breathe either. So if you do give a bath keep it shallow and watch your beardie the whole time.
now THAT i did not know (the muscle group thing)...mine liked to swim...maybe i had a suicidal beardie (kidding of course)...he would just sit there and wait until it was a certain depth; he'd start sliding around the bathroom sink until he felt it was deep enuf...if i'm lyin', i'm dyin'... it always looked like he was trying to get traction and he would launch himself in, and started swimming like he had somewhere to go... first bath i started with hand in water, so he wouldn't be scared. ended up using it like his own little beach... then back in he'd go...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
now THAT i did not know (the muscle group thing)...mine liked to swim...maybe i had a suicidal beardie (kidding of course)...he would just sit there and wait until it was a certain depth; he'd start sliding around the bathroom sink until he felt it was deep enuf...if i'm lyin', i'm dyin'... it always looked like he was trying to get traction and he would launch himself in, and started swimming like he had somewhere to go... first bath i started with hand in water, so he wouldn't be scared. ended up using it like his own little beach... then back in he'd go...
I had one that liked water also, it's insanely dangerous though.
It only takes a spit second for them to aspirate, I lost my 4 yo male Zen in January due to drinking in a bath. He aspirated right in front of me. We did cpr and saved him, but he passed from pneumonia a month or so later.
I have since revised the advice I give. No bath no time for no reason. If they need to be washed hold them under running water and clean them, if they need hydration use an eye dropper and be very careful not to give them water to fast.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
OMG! i'm so sorry. i thought we had something fun in common. i'm sorry for ur loss... that must have been horrible to witness...
Thank you.
I was to busy to be scared when he aspirated, we both were super focused on saving him. We moved to Washington a few weeks later that's when he passed. He was doing well in Vegas, but on the 2 day trip he crashed and died the 2nd day here.
It is fun to watch them swim I used to love to watch Chomp, she would jump back in the water after we dried her off of I didn't hold on to her. Back then I didn't understand the danger. I kniw what happened with Zen was a fluke, but it can happen so I try to wark folks, I don't want it to happen to someone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom