Should BD's be locked up?? Seriously,

Status
Not open for further replies.

florida

A friend who hates zoos-animals must never be caged,aquariums closed-saw our dragons and became angry.She said locking them up is unnatural,they should be banned,no breeding.I told her you cannot release them here,she just argued.What do i tell her?For 2 hours we could not convince her they are happy and cannot be released.What would you say to her?

Tell her that bringing nature into your home is a good way to remind you to love, honor, and protect the nature that lives outside your home. Tell her that encouraging the care and trade of animals we can love and be fascinated by encourages each new generation to take joy in the natural world. The fact is that most of the best ecologists are hunters, campers, and pet owners. By demonizing these passtimes, you risk driving away the natural world's most powerful allies.

It's not about selfishness or self-interest. Simply, the people who care most about nature are those who have arranged their lives to come into contact with it most frequently.

And frankly, if I have to sacrifice the well-being of a few animals, forcing them to live in "unnatural" captivity for the edification and enlightenment of the species that holds their fate in its hands - that is, us - then I'm willing to do it.

GunRack

Hah ask her how much she pays PETA to hear their propaganda. :lol:

People who feel that pets should be released are just ignorant, and usually dont want to hear all the whys behind why it would be inhumane to do so. I have dealt with these people in the past- its like talking to a brick wall.

BKRsBeardie

Hatchling Member
As a friend, she should respect your opinions and decision to own a Bearded Dragon, or whatever you want to own. If you are taking care of your baby and providing it's every want and need, she should understand. I don't know of any animal, in the wild, that is having it's every want and need attended to. Glad I have a friend that doesn't judge so harshly and listens to me, doesn't sound like your friend is going to be open to anything you say. She has chosen her soapbox and sounds like she is standing firmly on it...LOL.

MissMichelle91

Hatchling Member
Also tell her that you're obviously doing a big disservice to your dragon, I'm sure it would rather enjoy it's 3-5 year lifespan in the wild being chased around by predators. Who wouldn't choose that over a 7-10 year lifespan in captivity being spoiled with things like, you know... food. And love, and proper lighting, and snuggles.

I don't know about you, but I would MUCH rather spend my shortened life getting chased by hawks and getting run over by cars while I try to bask in the middle of the road.

boxers

Hatchling Member
So she doesn't have any pets of her own? Dogs, cats?
Or is she only against "exotic" pets? This would be terribly hypocritical.

I can understand wanting animals to not be caged and mistreated, but if your pets- your special little family members!- are well cared for, then she is making a nuisance of herself. I think the only thing you could tell her is how much YOU know about bearded dragons and thus how well you are providing for yours.

Or, just tell her to piss off cos she probably won't listen to anything logical anyway.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
This woman has no heart. I have a friend that chose a cat to adopt that was found wandering in a parking lot of a local grocery store but she loves our beardies and we have a pic of her holding a very large snake, she enjoyed holding said snake but wouldn't adopt it.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
You know what she is? Ignorant.
Is she a vegetarian?? If she is not, then she is a super duper hypocrite, because the animals we eat are locked up before we slaughter them. Every time she munches a tasty hamburger she's eating a cow that's been in a small feedlot for almost the last year of it's life. Even if she is a vegetarian, she's still being ridiculous. blegh

athenacp

Extreme Poster
To be honest, if my friend starting acting like this I would have told her this is my house and this is the way I live, you don't like it leave and if she left good riddance!

Maybe that's why I have no friends now, lol!

boxers

Hatchling Member
Mary, I can definitely relate. I just try to keep in mind one of George Washington's rules: " Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company. "

triumphtt

Juvie Member
boxers":3iv6enni said:
Mary, I can definitely relate. I just try to keep in mind one of George Washington's rules: " Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company. "

1st Love the quote!

As far as the friend I won't worry about saying anything in return or to explain anything to her because like it was said above she probably won't listen no matter what you say. I have friends and family that are very opinionated about stuff like that and it never matters it you could prove them wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt and then they would just drop it but never agree.

I like the 3-5 yr lifespan in the wild comment maybe you should ask her is she would like to go live with some of those tribe in Africa that hunt for their food, or even worse don't have cell phones or oh god the INTERNET!!! AHhhhh LMAO all else fail just smile and nod.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I kinda agree with her a teeny tiny bit- There are some animals who really shouldnt have been brought into captivity, because they are so much better off in the wild, and we just cant recreate that for them. Letting captive animals go is definatly not a solution though. We have to be responsible for what weve created, and we need to give our pets the best captive life possible.

I think that she is being pretty stupid though when she says that no animals should be kept as pets. There are plenty of animals that do great in captivity, and enjoy the attention and what not too. Im really against wild-caught animals being sold though... Alot of the time they dont adjust well and end up dying. They could have had a natural and free life, and I think its wrong to take that away from them.

BTW, is she vegan? Alot of vegans have that kind of "pets are tortured" mentality, and so does PETA. Im vegetarian, but Im not that extreme LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom