Should Aragon have a blankie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been perusing the site and reading old posts trying to get as much info as I can to make sure little Aragon has everything he could possibly need. I've noticed in quite a few pics and posts that they a lot of beardies have their own blankies. Aragon is about 6 weeks old now, had his first shed (since I've had him) and his first bath (was NOT a fan) and is eating like a little piglet. He is in a 20 gallon high right now with a water bowl, a large coco hut, a large basking stone, a big piece of driftwood that carries him up to his repti-hammock. His basking area reaches between 98-102 degrees during the day and I turn the light off at night as it stays about 78 in his room. His cool side stays on the low 80s side and his humidity never gets over 17 or so. I do take out all of his extras when I put his crickets in, because I want to make sure they don't hide and he can get to them all. Should I also put some type of blanket in for him?

Also, has anyone tried Zoo Med's Repti Shedding Aid? I recently bought some, but haven't used it yet. Once a month you spray it on and rub it into their skin and it is suppose to help keep their skin moist and help with shedding. Yes, no??

Thanks so much for all of your help. This is truly a wonderful site!! :lol:

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
:D This site is pretty awesome isnt it!

Sorry im not sure about the shed aid. None of my beardies have ever had problems shedding but im sure its good to have nearby just incase.

You should totally make a little snugly blankie for your beardie! put it where she/he usually sleeps. Also you can carry her/him around in it when they get older their nails can be a bit sharp!

good luck welcome to the site!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I use small dish cloths as blankies when they're small, Issy, who's 7 mo old but is small for her age, scritches underneath her blankie until she's all covered up. It's in her chamber where she sleeps most every night. She's still on newspaper and is an expert at cutting little squares in the newspaper, making a nest, then wriggles until her blankie is on top. It's funny to see what she's made overnight.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
When we first started doing the blankie thing with the girls i waited for them to go to sleep then id pick them up and place them in their blankie and then a few days id try and put them to sleep in the blankie it took another week and now they know blankie = bedtime.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
My 3 love their blankies! Especially Eragon who snuggles right in and goes right to sleep as soon as I wrap him up.

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
I have never used the shed stuff, I do know warm water works great :) Another great bed time snuggy mine love is the rice sock. I got the idea from one of the board members (sorry can't remember who) You get a clean sock. fill it with rice sew and sew the end up. You can pop it in the microwave for 30sec to warm it up...mine love it and will sleep on it...also works great to heat up and put in with them when taking them to the vet :)

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Rice bags/socks are wonderful!!! I have three rice/corn bags I bought last year at the Bristol raceway Christmas lights. They also work for humans,heat one up to put on sore muscles or freeze one for an ice pack. I haven't used the shed help either,sorry and as for a blankie,mine loves hers. We get her out at night for play time then wrap her in her blankie and she snuggles right to sleep.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Its worth a try for Aragon!
Some beardies love blankies, some arent bothered.

Blankies work great for bed time tools, for somewhere to hide, for a new texture to stimulate them, and to have something inside their viv that smells like you.

Some people dont agree with blankets. They think its molycoddling but heck all i know is that if Miso falls asleep on her blankie she has a creamy white belly. If she doesnt have it at nighttime she goes to sleep dark and covered in stress marks.
Thats all the proof I need!

Miso falls asleep ontop of her pink blankie in the corner of her viv every night, whereas Ruben will dig and dig untill he has wrapped himself up in it.

Thought Id share some pictures with you, See how they are used differently ^_^

Ruben waking up in the morning (he has one arm yet still manages to wrap himself up like this).
He has a blanket on the floor of his hide.
DSC00056.jpg

This is baby Miso.
She lays ontop and grips onto it with her teeny claws.
DSC00957.jpg

This is Dex.
Dex would also snuggle into her blankie but only when it was inside this little hide I made her.
boxsleeping.jpg

Give it a go ^_^

Holly

Beardie4me

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great advice. Last night I went through my material and found a piece of the fake lamb's wool stuff. Since he is only 6 weeks old, I cut a small piece and put it in the bottom of his viv. This morning he was wrapped up in it, and didn't even wake up when I took his accessories out to feed him. I had to gently nudge him awake and he gave me the death stare that he was NOT happy that I woke him. He loved it!!! I put in tonight and he went straight to it. As far as mollycoddling, that's what moms do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom