Short story then: Amputation or euthanization?

Muis

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kevin and Twerpy
Hi all!

I'm new here, and new to beardies (and any exotics for that matter). I just want to set the stage for this question, please bear with me 😝

I never thought that I would own a reptile, let alone love them as I do my cats and dog. To be honest they kinda creeped me out, and the thought of having to handle insects to feed them was also a big no for me. My father in law had these two beardies that would usually chill out in the sun when we visit for Sunday lunch. I never paid much attention to them but one day it started to rain and I decided to take them inside as everyone was busy cooking. I was literally petrified of even touching them 😅 But, it was love at first "handle". Something about these guys just grabbed my heart after carrying and feeding them, I became obsessed. I instantly asked my father in-law if I can have them, he is retired and travelling a lot so it worked out well and I inherited the setup and these two cuties.

I started to notice that the male's (10 yrs) one leg is always limp, it looked swollen and he was lethargic, not eating ANYTHING. I took them the vet to have them both checked out and to get x-rays done. Turns out that his wrist is broken, and has been for YEARS 😫 He also has arthritis at the one shoulder. This poor guy has been dealing with chronic pain for so long, and to be honest I am livid at no one addressing this earlier. I was given three choices: pain management with meds, which will eventually affect his kidneys, amputation or euthanasia. For now I opted for pain meds until I can make an informed decision on the next steps.

I really don't want to put this sweetheart down, he deserves a shot at a good life. Do you guys think an amputation would be a good idea? It is his front leg, and also worth to note he only has one toe left on that foot, the others are missing from some injury when he was younger so maybe missing the leg won't impact him much? Will he be able to live a good quality life or should I consider euthanasia? I am happy to provide more info if needed.

On the upside, he seems to be perking up since I started the meds yesterday. He ate 9 superworms to date, the first insects I ever saw him eat since he joined our family. I will continue to force feed bug pie to fatten him up as well.

I have zero experience with beardies and this has been a steep learning curve for me, but I am trying my best and I wholeheartedly love them. I will probably be asking a lot of stupid questions on here (apologies in advance).

Thank your bearing with me and for any advice 🌞🐉

Attachments

• IMG20231124105648.jpg
    IMG20231124105648.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG20231124105703.jpg
    IMG20231124105703.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 52
Solution
Hi all!

I'm new here, and new to beardies (and any exotics for that matter). I just want to set the stage for this question, please bear with me 😝

I never thought that I would own a reptile, let alone love them as I do my cats and dog. To be honest they kinda creeped me out, and the thought of having to handle insects to feed them was also a big no for me. My father in law had these two beardies that would usually chill out in the sun when we visit for Sunday lunch. I never paid much attention to them but one day it started to rain and I decided to take them inside as everyone was busy cooking. I was literally petrified of even touching them 😅 But, it was love at first "handle". Something about these guys just grabbed my heart...

Muis

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kevin and Twerpy
Hi Tracie! Thank you so much for getting back to me. They get the powdered calcium. I sprinkle and mix it into the greens and also sprinkle some on the feeders. For Twerpy I am force feeding Bug Pie that contains calcium and other supplements as well, he regressed back into not really eating much the last two days. I am going to get the x-rays this week on a USB since the vet could not mail them, shall I post that too? We have tons of vets but no real reptile experts I'm afraid.

The pain killer is Petcam 1,5mg/ml. I added some pictures of the enclosure, this one is inherited, I am systematically trying to upgrade what I can. Please let me know if you need any specific pics of the dragons! Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG20231128100607_01.jpg
    IMG20231128100607_01.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG20231128100330.jpg
    IMG20231128100330.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20231128100259.jpg
    IMG20231128100259.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 42

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

You are welcome. I will look forward to seeing the X-rays once you are able to get them on
the USB drive.
So, both dragons are housed together at the moment, correct? Are they a male & female?
As far as the tube bulb, I would get that placed in a light fixture so that it is recessed into the
light fixture & direct it downwards more.
How far is the tube bulb from them?
The Petcam is essentially like the Metacam pain reliever. Is he doing ok on that medication?
The bug pie should be ok, but be careful not to give too much since it has so much vitamins &
minerals in it.
How are they both doing today?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom