Shopping List (revised)

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
This is my revised shopping list for my adult male Beardie I'm getting this winter. I know the collection of bulbs I am getting may not provide enough heat... I already have the CHE and halogen (left over from my snake), so I will get fixtures and test them out. If it is too cold, I will get a 100w CHE.

I am building him a wood viv with dimensions of 4x2x2' (120 gallon).

Already Owned:
-Food pellets (for gutloading, not for actual feeding)
-Freeze-dried Crix (in case of emergency outage)
-Ceramic Clamp Lamp (for CHE/halogen bulb)
-60 watt CHE
-50 watt halogen
-Bowl for veggies
-Bowl for water
-AcuRite Thermometer w/ probe
-Double outlet light timer (for halogen and ReptiSun)

Need:
-Rep-Cal Herptivite
-Rep-Cal >Phosphorous free< Calcium with D3
-36" ReptiSun 10.0
-Light fixture for ReptiSun
-Cricket Keeper
-Worm Keeper
-Another ceramic clamp lamp (for CHE/halogen)
-Tile substrate
-Building materials (I am building a wood viv)

Am I missing anything?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, and I'll make a hide box and get rocks and branches and stuff from outside. Don't worry; I will wash/bake them to get all possible mites out.

kaimarion

Hatchling Member
You might want to add a thermostat to the list as it will help keep your temperatures in check, you don't need a water bowl to be honest and if you do use one keep it in the cool end so you don't create a humidity problem. I also think you should consider getting your self a roach colony as they are a great feeder insect and to my knowledge most BD's seem to like them and for a 4x2x2 enclosure you will probably need a heat bulb that is about 100w+.

Remember to have your set-up checked and ready before you get your new BD and you'll be doing fine :mrgreen: .

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
kaimarion":fa872 said:
You might want to add a thermostat to the list as it will help keep your temperatures in check, you don't need a water bowl to be honest and if you do use one keep it in the cool end so you don't create a humidity problem. I also think you should consider getting your self a roach colony as they are a great feeder insect and to my knowledge most BD's seem to like them and for a 4x2x2 enclosure you will probably need a heat bulb that is about 100w+.

Remember to have your set-up checked and ready before you get your new BD and you'll be doing fine :mrgreen: .

Yes, I think I should get a thermostat. Do you know where to get the cheapest kind? Walmart, maybe? I was going to add the water bowl in the rare case that the beardie might be trained to drink from it, but I know they usually need to have water dropped on their nose.
I will absolutely have everything setup within several weeks of getting him... in that time I will exchange any bulbs that aren't warm enough and adjust a few things. :D I'm so excited!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Yeh, Wal Mart has a little indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with a probe and humidity readout for around $12. It's like 2" wide and 4" long and is made by Accutemp. It's not in the Pet section, it's by the house stuff. If you search around here there is a pic of it posted serveral times.

Think about getting some first aid stuff too just in case. It's really stressful when something goes wrong and you're freakin' out and you have to order everything on the internet cause the stores don't carry it. It's much cheaper online too. Like Acidophoiz+, Repti-Aid and/or Jump Start.

Also, tweezers or tongs for crickets come in handy, and did I see a water bowl anywhere? It's too late to think!

i would get a mvb bulb if i was you.
im building two cages right now. ( 2 feet tall 3 feet deep and 4 foot long )
the bulbs im using are
mvb mega-ray EB 60 kit
halogen 90wt
full spectrum fluorescent 5000 K 3200 LUX

kaimarion

Hatchling Member
The problem with MVBs(Mercury Vapour Bulb) is they are not supposed to be put on a thermostat (says it in the instructions) and they HAVE to be at a distance of between 12-20 inches to avoid causing damage to the animals eyes.
I would definitely recommend getting one as they are cheaper in the long run and produce higher levels of UVB compared to strip lights. You might also want to look into getting one of the new Mega Ray metal halides aswell.

http://www.megaray.co.uk/

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
mattxwtfxisthat":775b0 said:
i would get a mvb bulb if i was you.
im building two cages right now. ( 2 feet tall 3 feet deep and 4 foot long )
the bulbs im using are
mvb mega-ray EB 60 kit
halogen 90wt
full spectrum fluorescent 5000 K 3200 LUX

Yes, I have heard of the MVBs, and I would really like one, but right now I am a bit low on cash, even if a MVB is cheaper in the end. Of course I would beg money off somebody if I needed a vet trip for any of my animals or something like that. But I do plan to get a MVB when my ReptiSun's life ends and I have a bit of cash saved up.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
You can usually find less expensive MVB's. I got a couple from reptilesupply.com for $25.99 each that are the Exo Terra Solar Glo and come in 125w and 160w. I like them much better than the Zoo Med Powersun mvb's.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
seadooz":461a3 said:
You can usually find less expensive MVB's. I got a couple from reptilesupply.com for $25.99 each that are the Exo Terra Solar Glo and come in 125w and 160w. I like them much better than the Zoo Med Powersun mvb's.

Hm! That is pretty cheap; they were around $70 at PetCo, but everything is so much cheaper on the internet.

For the MVBs, can I use a normal clamp lamp (it has a porcelain socket) by ZooMed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom