SHOCKED BEARDIE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why it is so important to separate the beardies (one per tank). I have two beardies, each having their own viv. My 6 month old is a real sweetheart (a male). Never aggressive, never bites, very lovable (gives kisses) etc. I have had him for about a month now. He loves the beardie burrito. Will not fall asleep until I wrap him up and put him on my shoulder for a while and peeks every so often to make sure I'm still there. My other beardie (possible female) is 3 months old and I have had her for only a couple of weeks. She is another sweetheart. Also a beardie burrito phanatic, I have to hold her, too or she won't fall asleep.

Both are very spoiled, they can see each other (tanks aren't side by side, one is elevated on another stand). One night, I decided to give them their bath together because they both are just so lovable thinking they would not be threatening to each other...I was wrong!!! THE BABY BEARDIE LITERALLY ATTACKED THE OLDER BEARDIE, I MEAN THE BABY BIT AND HUNG ON TO THE OLDER BEARDIES MOUTH :shock: !!! My hubby had to separate them. My older male didn't fight back, did nothing threatening to the baby. He just took it like a man but I also think he was in shock...lol! I'm thinking maybe the baby is a male instead of a female to aggressively attack him? My heart dropped and my hubby was just as shocked and comforted the older beardie. I wish they both could just get along :(

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Wow! I would have thought it ok to have them "visit" outside their viv. I would have been wrong too.

Sandy H

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Wow... that is a shock. Maybe jealously rather than being a male. Concerned that the older one was getting all of mommy's time??

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I have two female (at least I'm saying Zoom zoom is a female until I find otherwise) beardies in separate tanks. Speedy has the 40 breeder and for now Zoom zoom has the 20 gallon. We take them out in the sun together daily. Ayway, I guess we are lucky because the only problems we've seen has been zoom zoom (the smaller one) climbed on Speedy one time, that was while they were in our living room window and there was only sun for one beardie. We took them outside for more sun. Yesterday morning, Speedy climbed on top of Zoom zoom two different times. They have never fought with each other.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I've seen pictures of beardies climbing and stacked on each other. It's so cute; I would have never thought it would have turned out that way either. Maybe one day they can place nice!

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Ugh, yeah it really stinks when they can’t just get along, especially outside of their vivs. I have 3 beardys all in their own vivs. Rexy and Rogue can be out together and take baths together. Rogue is only half the size of Rexy, but Rexy is very laid back and doesn’t mind sharing his space with Rogue at all. I’m still not even totally sure if Rexy is male or female, I must get some pictures up for the breeders to look at. Diesel, my definite male does not like Rexy. I cannot have the two of them out together. Diesel has attacked Rexy unprovoked a couple of times and Rexy gets all pissed and retaliates. I have not allowed Diesel to be near Rogue since he does not even get along with my laid back Rex. The strangest thing about it is that Diesel was my rescue and he lived in the same enclosure with another male before I got him with no problems at all. Go figure, you just never know what they are going to do. I wish for my sake and theirs though that all three of them could get along outside of their vivs. It makes it harder when you can’t let them all roam at once. :banghead:

dragontales

Original Poster
My older beardie is fine. The baby is much smaller and couldn't do much damage because my hubby reacted quickly to part them. I show them both the same amount of love and they take turns when I prepare them for bed in their burrito.

It's sad that beardies can't co-habit together peacefully. I would love to see them bond as some do :( When I adopted the older beardie, he did have a couple of roomates, so did my baby, she had many roomates. But what I did find odd was that my baby literally stood in a corner, all by her/himself, when the other babies were very active and walking around. That's why I adopted her. To me, she seemed like an outcast, or maybe even sick, and needed someone to love her. I now think she'd rather be alone.

renich

Juvie Member
wow! it would be nice if our little ones got along. it's just not meant to be...

especially since you had an attack, you should consider stacking your vivs rather than having them side by side...

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I love my 3 can take baths together without bad things happening. although once when i had my big male out and my new adopted female out, she took off towards the male and kept licking his face forcefully. haha. Dave just cringed and closed his eyes cause he got scared. haha.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Dragontales because the baby attached the larger male does not necessarily mean that the smaller is a male. Females will attach too if they feel intimidated or threatened.

I'm glad everything turned out alright. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom