Shipping crickets in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Hello,
I got a little worried this morning. The place I usually order crickets from emailed me to mention that crickets can sustain cold temperatures, but no too much below freezing, so he cannot guarantee that they will arrive all alive. He even suggested delaying the shipment until warmer days, which I cannot do. This is going to be my first winter with my dragon, and since he eats like a pig I cannot rely on the pet store for crickets (they don't have small size, and they cost a fortune).
How do you guys from colder parts of the world manage to get crickets shipped when temps are well below freezing? In my area it is already cold :roll: and there is snow on the ground.

Is it possible to used the canned crickets and put them on a vibrating tray? Do dragons really get fooled by this? Mine eats only crickets that move...

thanks!
Isabelle

Pravius

Juvie Member
Most good companies will use heat packs in with the crickets. I am in a similar situation come winter time though. What I have been doing is ordering the crickets and having them delivered to my local petstore... and just give them a few bucks for letting me use them. That is only because UPS always just leaves the box where ever and I work full time so I will have crickets just sitting out front of my door for like 8 hours in the dead of winter. But if you are home during the day and do not work then look for a company that uses heat packs for winter shipments.

moose9

Hatchling Member
When I was using crickets, I used to ordered mine through my lps. They would just order extra. As mentioned above, most dealers use heat packs which if the box is insulated should work fine. The problem with crickets is there to sensitive and die off to easy. From what I read a few years back, crickets can tolerate down to 40°F. One other option is to breed your own roach colony. Then you never have to worry about not having food available for your dragon. I haven't used crickets or bought any feeders in about 4 months. Good luck.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the replies.
Actually, I'm getting ready to start a roach colony, so that will at some point resolve my problems (I guess in a few months)! In the meantime, I will ask about heatpacks when I order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom