she's too skiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikez123

Hatchling Member
i think spike is really skiny. when the vet measured her at 11 inches she was 81 grams. now shes 17 inches and not even double weight. we had an impaction problem as she couldn't digest big crickets to well. my main concern is that she won't have enough nutrients for brumation next year

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
You might try to fatten her up with some wax worm treats for a while. They are not a good staple as they contain too much fat and are like lizard candy bars, but good to put some meat on the bones and easy to digest. Scorch is a pudge and is currently eating supers and pw's.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Poor little thing.
Can you run down her diet and eating habits with us?
How much and what a day?

Insted of going right to waxworms you might want to try switching crickets for a slightly higher fat worm, like Phoneix, Silk or butterworms as her staple.
They have soft bodies which make them easier to digest, which might help if she has struggled in the past.
Ruben has a delicate digestive system, and it takes very little to upset it, he has made great progress with butterworms and has even moved onto Superworms now.

How is she with eating veg?
I cant say enough good things about squash for weight gain. It is naturally very starchy and promotes weight gain in dragons.
Ruben was SO frighteningly skinny when I brought him home. Now he is a big chunk of love!
Anything you can do to get some squash into her will help, be it raw grated, raw sliced, part-boiled or in babyfood form it really could help.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom