Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I need help. RJ has consistently had shedding issues the last couple years. He's 3 now. Currently he's shedding (pretty much his whole body)and it seems none of it wants to come off easy. It's sensitive. He twitches/ pulls away when I touch it. Im of course very careful. I've been using vegetable oil which seems to be helping. Sometimes when touch it his head twitches, which I don't get because there's no way he's got MBD. He had an xray a few months ago, and has always got plenty of calcium. He also has a t5 bulb. My concern is what can I do now, not more importantly, what preventative measures can i take to improve future sheds??? Thank you so much in advance for ANY help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post a pic of him please? Have you tried bathing him --- and taking a soft toothbrush when he is in the bath to help loosen the shed
Karrie

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's sleeping right now. But I have this picture from a couple weeks ago. Doesn't show much, but you can see one spot on his tail. I havnt bathed him in a while, since I found out the myth about hydrating through bathing was "busted." I do mist him though
89591-3701400627.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Give him a good soak and yes it does hydrate them-- I bathed hiccup this morning he is going thru body shed and dropped water on his head and it soaked in-- I could actually see it soak into his skin- take a toothbrush an brush him in the bath to loosen it--- don't pull on it it will come off
Karrie

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It might moisten their skin but i've seen a scientific study proving that their bodies don't actually absorb any water. Not trying to argue, just trying to share what i've learned. I certainly still have much to learn which is why i'm asking for help with this situation. Thank you

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hydrating through just soaking is a myth, as far as I can tell, but many dragons will drink during their baths and that will obviously hydrate them.

Additionally, the humidity of a bath does help soften and loosen dead skin quite a bit. Bearded dragons in captivity are often kept at humidity levels lower than their native range - which is actually good, as the tanks we keep them in usually can't replicate all the micro-environments a lizard of their size can travel through throughout a day, and constant high humidity can cause a number of health concerns as I am sure you already know - but it means that their outer skin often is drier (and therefor more stuck on) than it should be.

I wouldn't recommend overdoing the baths, but giving one once or twice a week to a beardie who enjoys it (like mine does) shouldn't be an issue. For a beardie who doesn't enjoy it, giving one before or during shed to one experiencing regular shedding problems is probably a good idea. Just be safe in general, as you might a child, and also make sure to the beardie dries within a few minutes of getting out of the bath and it shouldn't cause any issues and possibly have the benefits you are looking for to improve shedding.

Best,
-Ellentomologist

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. RJ actually isn't much of a fan of baths to be honest. I hear of beardies enjoying it, lounging in the water, swimming, etc... RJ is my third scaley baby, and my third scaley baby not to like water :) But, if i'm slow and cautious, he'll usual keep his cool for a bit. I'll definately give him a soak or two a week until he's past this. However, i'm still wondering, and thoughts on preventative measures for the future?

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
What is your relative humidity? If it is too low it can cause difficult sheds. I have talked to a couple long time breeders who have been doing it for 25 plus years and they recommend RH between 40-45% to promote healthy shedding. Sometimes when you get down under 40% or like 30% and lower that might be an issue during a shed. Just a thought and something to check on. I know for my ball python when his humidity isn't at 60% his sheds are a complete disaster. I haven't personally had any issues with my beardies, but I do know RH plays an important role in shedding for all reptiles.

Kyle

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well currently it's around 50-60 at night, obviously much lower during the day. There have been times i've even run a dehumidifier (at night only) because humidity gets up to 70. Humidity does get pretty low during times of year that humidity isn't high (as in not during summer months). I'm not sure what "relative" humidity means though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a hydrometer that has the numbers w/ the ranges like desert moderate and tropical --- 0-20 desert -- 20-75 is moderate and above that is tropical---- mine has never go above 60--
Karrie

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
RH is just the humidity relative to the air temp. Hotter air holds more moisture so that’s why it spikes at night when temp goes down and drops when your lights are on. The RH certainly wouldn’t be a quick fix for shedding but just something to keep in mind for long term shedding health. As long as you RH is decent, which it sounds like it probably is then all is probably good. As long as he has some rough surfaces to rub on it should work itself out. And then if he needs assistance the bathing and soft brush. Shedding is never an easy process for them and why it makes them grumpy.

Kyle

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
What Kyle said...

BPs are tough, though, IMO for shedding - out of curiosity, Kyle, do you give a humid hide/shed box? I have had perfect sheds since I put one in. :)

The care sheet on here doesn't give a recommended humidity, and understandably so... The recommended humidity for humans is 45-55% which is higher than it is for beardies, almost regardless of which care sheet you look at. So, if the human conditions are ideal, putting a beardie in those conditions and then "drying" the tank conditions a bit with the lights usually results in good BD humidity.

The humidity for beardies I have seen as low as 20% to as high as 60%... Frankly I think both extremes are too much. Most care sheets do between 30-50%, and a lot at the "as close to 40% as you can get it, + or - 5%".

As far as I can tell, though, beardies tend to be a species that has major issues from too high a humidity and only minor issues from too low a humidity. That's just from lurking here though and doing a bunch of other reading on sites from mostly other people's personal anecdotes. So, you know, take what you will.

Guac has only ever had one bad shed, and that was right after we had to travel with him while moving. He's a water lover though, and always hangs in his bath for quite a wile - sometimes even going to the deep end so he can "swim" a bit (I have a very angled tub I put him in, essentially like an old-fashioned turtle tank where he can sit in shallow water, "deep" water, or climb out completely on his own)... However the humidity in my house is LOW, like low-low to the point where I run a humidifier almost all the time for myself and my roomie (The humidifier only gets it up to 30% :-//). Honestly I think that contributes a lot to why Guac loves the water so much (I also keep a big ol' water bowl in his tank, as he will drink from it on his own. Have never seen him soak in it, which is a good sign, as that would implicate bad husbandry.) Guac's tank is about 20-25%, but I think his baths make up the difference between this and what is normally recommended. That, or maybe I just got lucky with my dragon.

Regardless, wish you good luck. If you need ways to raise the humidity, here's a short list:
-If you don't have a water bowl in your cage, add one to the cool side. Warm side would likely raise the humidity too much.
-Add some beardie-safe plants. My personal favorites aloe vera and herbs like basil, cillantro, or rosemary. The Bio Dude also sells some dragon-safe plants like elephant feed.
-If all else fails... You could risk a "dig" box. Honestly I wouldn't recommend this unless you need to, since any loose substrate is normally a health hazard, but a moist dig box might be a good way to go if you're desperate. Again, I might look into The Bio Dude for substrate, he supposedly does some pretty decent bioactive setups for beardies though honestly I am a touch skeptical.

Cheers,
-Ellentomologist

EDIT: OH WOW LOOKS LIKE YOU TOO POSTED A FEW TIMES BEFORE I RESPONDED SORRY IF ANYTHING DOESN'T APPLY/IS REPEATED

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Hi Ellen,

Yeah I had one disaster of a shed with my BP and put a humid hide in and haven't had an issue since. That does work very well for a BP. I also installed a humidifier and a hydrostat as well because I learned the hard way that when BP sheds go bad, they go really bad.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom