Shedding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby is shedding for the umptenth time, I noticed that her skin seemed really dry this time, doe's it hurt to give her a bath to help her out? Or just let her stay dried out? Also got some awesome new's she's eating veggie's big time before she wouldn't touch them. It's kale,bananas,pears and meal worm's, she seem's to pick out all the green kale first then the meal worm's followed with some of the left over's. She has doubled her size and weight. She's only about 12 to 14 inch's long. How old? I wish I could find out. thank's beardie family/ lol Charles :D

brittani299

Extreme Poster
You can give them a bath to help with the shed. It helps release the dead skin. Also I wouldn't feed mealworms they can cause impaction.

Bestpittbull

Original Poster
Yep I heard that about meal worms to, she's been eating them since I've had her. She has no problem pooping sometimes three times a day, nice and wet.lol Charles :blob8:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
There is a second issue besides impaction with mealworms: they are not at all nutritious. You should really change his diet. Also, you should be bathing him every 2-3 days generally, and during a shed could up that to daily. It really helps them out.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
You can give your Beardie a Bath to help with shedding, in fact it help's a lot. Everyone does it.
But you should never feed meal worm's, they have no Nutritional Value, and can cause Impaction, just Because Impaction hasn't happened yet, does not mean it will not happen.
And Meal Worm's are probably the worst feeder ever when it come's to Nutritional Value. Cricket's, Super Worm's, Phoenix Worm's, Roaches are all better and should be used a Staple feeder insect.
Poor nutrition will cause Problem's later down the road.

Bestpittbull

Original Poster
Thanks my friend yes I powder her mealworms and she gets a bath every other day. I do also give her crickets, dusted or course. Now wax worms to me are a waste. :puke:

1968dart

Hatchling Member
http://www.dachiubeardeddragons.com/dragoncare/growthcharts.html
There's a growth chart for you and yes switch to super worms first there better nutritionally also they have a softer exoskeleton. There cheap and you can breed your own so then there free. They also don't stink and they stay alive for months and months just give them a cut potato and I feed mine rep-cal cricket food so there gut loaded. I would love a dubie roach colony but there illegal in Canada. Not that that would stop me if I could find some. Cheers

brittani299

Extreme Poster
She is too young for super worms don't feed them to her. Your beardie should be at least 16 inches long before you feed super worms.

Bestpittbull

Original Poster
Thanks Briti, yep I'm just will stick with the big meal worms she loves them with the kale and bananas. lol Charles :blob5:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
You really need to stop feeding mealworms. He may love them, but you're not offering him any nutritional value, and are taking a huge risk with his long term and short term health. Kale and bananas also aren't good for every day. Kale and bananas both binds calcium. Honestly, with what you are currently feeding your dragon, he will not grow, will be skinny and malnourished, and will eventually develop calcium problems or even MBD. I think you need to seriously consider the advice being given here, because your currently offered diet is only hurting your baby.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry if that came off as a bit harsh, but I'm sure you just want what's best for your little guy, and I just want you to understand what you need to do to achieve that! The fact that you're here shows how much you care :)

Bestpittbull

Original Poster
No you didn't, it shows me that you love your kids to. I would die if my baby got sick or worse, she's my everything, thank you so much I will put some pictures up of my baby girl as soon as I can figure out how to do it, beardie just sent me the information about posting my baby's pic by my name. lol Charles :blob8:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
To post pics, you need to upload them to photobucket, or imgur, or something like those, copy the url, and paste it here in between the "img" tags, which you can get by clicking the button above the input box here as well.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i used mealworms as a treat, like bacon bits on her salad. maybe 3 once a week.

but she was almost 10 months old.

treats are fine every now and again.

bathing helps because the skin gets wet and expands with the moisture, then shrinks and cracks when it dries.

if you notice that the skin is being really difficult coming off, you can get shedding aid from the pet store. i've had to use that on Mr Dargon's tail a few times.

butterworms are a great treat too (gummy worms, lol)

if you have a reptile show near you i suggest going. you can buy smaller amounts of different feeders (hornworms, silkworms, roaches, etc), and see which ones your beardie like the best. it's great that you don't have to pay for shipping to find out what works and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom