Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we brought Bruce home last saturday we noticed his legs were starting to shed. Today his back, face and belly are shedding. He's acting a bit itchy and rubs on everything. Is there anything i can put in there to help releave his itch stress? How often do they shed? Do their colors get more vibrant after they shed? I haven't found a good site to go to to research more about beardies. I feel so silly asking so many questions. Can anyone recommend a good site? He is being a little cranky so i'm going to let him just sit for a little while.
Lyn

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
This is the best sight for all those types of questions (and many more) :) I am fairly new but I can answer a couple of them at least.

They tend to rub themselves on branches etc if you have them in the viv but don't try and pull any of it off yourself (even though it makes them look a bit like an alien) as it will make them sore.
As babies it seems as though they shed continuously, mainly because they grow at such a vast rate. Shedding equals growth so its all good :)
They are quite likely to shed in patches especially as they get older and the shedding slows down as the growth does. As babies they look like they have exploded (quite amusing).
Baths help ease the itchiness and helps beardies in their shedding.
Sometimes they can look a little paler just before they start shedding and yes after a shed their colours generally brighten.
They may also go off their food a little or their behaviour may change a little (getting grumpy) until the shed is over (although not sure if babies can be put off food :))
My beardie sometimes blows out her beard and it can get a bit dark as it gets a bit uncomfortable. I think she blows out her beard to help the shedding skin come off, but this is just my opinion.
Make sure to clear out the shedded skin once it has fallen so your lil one doesnt eat it. (Just good husbandry)
Can't think of anything else atm :D

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Also, never feel silly for asking questions (I have asked heaps of them since finding this site) everyone on here is helpful and full of good advice. If you want whats best for your wee beastie then all questions are good ones :D

Oh, and welcome :mrgreen:

Jo

broozersfam

Original Poster
I have seen alot about bathing. Do you give them a bath or do you spray them? I was told to mist him. There is so much i need to learn. He did fluff his beard out and bobbed his head and opened his mouth while he was in full shed this afternoon. Now he's a bit happier and has one heck of an attitude! He wants to be held NOW! I am so busy at the moment preparing for our son's party tomorrow. I have decided to put him and our rats in another room as to not upset them with all the people around. (plus some of our party goers aren't too thrilled with our choice of pets!) Thank you so much for your help.
Lyn

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Lyn, good luck with the party tomorrow.

Misting is good once in a while but it doesn't thoroughly hydrate them. And, misting shouldn't be done in the tank because it can raise the humidity too much which can cause an upper respiratory infection. Baths actually help them more and it also thoroughly soaks their skin to make shedding much easier as it puts moisture underneath the outer layer of skin to help it lift. You can actually bathe them in warm water (tested by the inside of your wrist, should feel warm but not hot) as often as you would like but if your beardie isn't fond of baths, 2 times a wk for about 20 min each time would be sufficient. Also, put a washcloth or hand towel down in the bottom to keep him from sliding around so that he feels more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom