Shedding? Too much UV? Too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh48329

I just picked up an 8 month old yellow beardie on Monday night. I've noticed that since I've had him, he seems considerably darker (getting browner). I've also noticed that many of the scales on the top of his head look shiny towards the middle and remind me of shiny plastic. The scales down the center of his back (and only the ones down the center) also seem to be getting white towards the edges. I assume those ones are starting to shed, but how long should it take for that to occur? Also, what about the darker color and the shine to the scales on his head?

He's currently eating crickets, super worms, and mustard greens. Lighting is a T-Rex 100W MVB. It's located 12" from his basking location, but when he lays there that essentially makes it 11" from him. (Is that ok?) Basking temp is usually around 103F, and other lights are above the tank to keep the center around 85F, and the cool side around 72F. He seems somewhat active, and I have seen him in all areas of his cage. I'm just wondering if this is normal for shedding, or if maybe the lights are too close? Or something else?

1happymommy

Juvie Member
You should post a picture so someone can help you. I do know that my guy has shiny scales on his head. I don't know what your talking about with the other scales. When they are getting ready to shed they will turn a greyish color for a while before the shedding acually starts. You can usually tell because other parts of the body aren't in shed so the dragon is it's usual color.

Now your beardie maybe darker from relocation stress. It's only been a few days and it can take 2 weeks for them to trust you.
Make sure you give him a nice warm bath almost everyday. A nice size rubbermade container will work. Just about a inch or so of water up to the arm pits. This is also a nice way for him to poop so you don't have to clean the cage.Plus he can hydrate tis way since they really don't drink water. some do though.

Just search this site and many of your questions will be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom