Shedding then not shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
My baby has gone through so many sheds in the last 10 weeks. He is usually fine with it and there's no difference in his appetite or behavior.

This time...very different. He's just over 10 weeks and he's 11 inches. His tail was really WHITE for about 10 days but nothing started to peel or come away from his body. I see him rubbing his face all over so I've been waiting for the usual shedding we've seen him go through. He gets daily baths (shedding or not) for 15 to 20 minutes a day. He actually enjoys it and tends to do all his business in there. Anyway...today (about 2 weeks of the really white tail) it doesn't look white or grey at all anymore. I've checked the tip and it isn't black but you can still see right at the base between body and tail that the color is different.

Is it possible to take this long to shed? Can he start to shed and stop? It's just not like the other sheds. Should I apply the zoo med repti shedding aid to his tail? Or leave him alone?

He's moody and eating about 50% less than his daily intake. Also seems very lethargic :( Though, he has his moments of climbing and exploring here and there. He's just not the usual happy guy we know.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I have been puzzled, too, by the apparent disappearing shed. It will shed, though. Really. I don't know about the shed ease. Never used it. I read that others have, and I assume it is safe.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
As long as someone else has witnessed the "disappearing shed" I feel better! We used a baby tooth brush to massage it a little in his bath. Seems to be coming back to "shedding status" again!

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So...we had success with his tail, body, and left front leg. His head is still grey and he's rubbing it a lot (not so worried there). His right front leg is so grey that it's almost white and the whole "arm" and toes are visibly swollen in comparison to the left front that has finally shed. It's been going on for weeks. I've used the spray on shed aid, soaks every day 15-20 minutes, massaging with soft baby toothbrush. Is it time to worry or are there any other actions to be taken on my part?

Please, I wouldn't be worried if the legs that refuse to shed didn't appear swollen. No pics at the moment. I'm at work. I can post some at 4 if needed.

Thank you!!

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh, ok! Thanks. It's just never taken weeks before. Yes, he goes in parts but eventually crawls right out of his skin and we're good for another week ;) Thanks for the reassurance. If I still feel nervous when I get home I'll post a pic anyway :)

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm probably overreacting. I'm sure...but you offered to take a look. This is the best pic I could get of both front leg/feet. His left shed and his right hasn't. It's been a couple weeks. I'd appreciate your feedback.

null-81.jpg

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok...I'm starting to sort of panic here. Should that arm look THAT swollen from not shedding?? I'm starting to wonder if he might have hurt himself? It hasn't changed since this original post 7 days ago :( His appetite has slightly decreased but enough for me to notice. Still active in the early part of the day though.

I have more pics if needed. Sorry...

Esther19

BD.org Addict
It has been my experience that as my dragons aged, the characteristics of the skin/scales that was shed actually changed; became thicker and took longer to shed.
My only concern would be his somewhat bulbous pointer finger. I would continue to soak him every day, or twice. Just keep an eye on that finger. Otherwise, it looks normal to me. Hopefully others will chime in.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much. I just have this helpless feeling. I don't know how or even if I should help him. I just want to be sure that it is in fact shedding even :( I'm nervous to put anything on him. I do have all natural pure aloe Vera. Would that be a possibility? I guess I'm just hoping its shedding and not hurt in any other way. That whole arm and hand is at least double the size of his left one. This is the most stressful part of loving a beardie. He changes so frequently I don't always know what "normal" is!

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced this. Hoping it is a tough shed that I can help him with but want to be sure that the swelling isn't an injury. Any opinions are appreciated.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
An injury is a possibility, as is gout. If the swelling does not get any worse, I would wait for the arm/hand to shed, then assess the situation. If you are that worried and can afford a vet, by all means take him. I think the aloe vera would be fine to apply to the affected area. Might speed up the shed a bit. Hang in there!

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi there, I'll try lol...I do agree with what's been said though.
But, I'll ask a few more questions and share my experience too. :D

I saw the slight swelling too, but looking more closely I'm curious as to how long the nail is on that toe and the inner toe, thumb I guess it would be, are? (I "think" there might be a slight difference in the "thumb" too, not sure, and wouldn't have thought twice about it if the other toe weren't being discussed, and this could just be an angle issue or me lol, so please don't worry, I'm simply curious about this one). Are the nail(s) longer than the other nails on that foot (other foot even), at all?

How are his bowel movements? How often? Are his urates normal in color and texture (not hard)?

I agree with everything Esther19 said/suggested though.

From recent experience with Kaira (she's 5yrs old) and her shed on her back toes, one toe looked a bit like that- I'm still working on the tip of it. She's recently had surgery (so, I know the helpless feeling, it's been nerve-racking) to remove follicles (one had ruptured right before the scheduled surgery, but caught it very early) and spaying done, so she's a bit "off" all around, but doing great considering, anyways, sorry off topic lol. I noticed that the more of the toe she shed, the less it looked like it was truly "swollen", it isn't now, just got the tip of it go (and since she's been to vet recently, I do know that it isn't an "issue", just needs more time). Basically, I think sometimes the scales at the "tip" of the toe or right near the nail can "push up" making them appear larger than the others.

However, Kaira is not the prime example at the moment due to the recent ordeal she's been through. That said, I still agree with Esther19, watch it, as true swelling can be a sign of gout or some type of injury, but seriously doubt that's the case with the pictures posted...it looks like a "thicker" shed that is loosening and pulling away, but driving you, and probably him, crazy because it's still hanging on at some spots.
And also, the baths, light brushing, aloe vera will all help like Esther19 said. And also, the vet part, if you can, want to, and believe he needs to be taken, it won't hurt, but also agree that it will likely be fine once he sheds and that the shed is the cause of the "swelling".
Decreased appetites are fairly common with tough sheds, as long as he still has some appetite.

I know it's tough, but you're doing the right things. :D

Abi

***EDIT*** Wanted to add that I don't think his entire arm is "swelling", not sure his toe is either-not truly, I mean. The "swollen" appearance of the arm is typical shed-looking in the pictures IMO.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I absolutely appreciate the information you all have shared! I applied the aloe overnight. His nails are all the same length as far as I can see. He is eating, just a bit less than usual. He has also been using it without a problem. Someone had also suggested 100% coco butter which I will pick up today and continue with soaks and gentle massaging with the baby tooth brush.

I don't necessarily "have the means" but I took in this little guy and he's part of my family. So, if I don't see improvement or anything worsens it's my responsibility to get him seen. As I have been examining him so closely it really does look as though the skin in just SO thick and I'm not able to tell the difference from the thick (stubborn shedding) skin and swelling :(

I will continue for a day with all I can and update. If a vet should see him I'll take him. Going to call around this morning to even find one in the area! This could be tough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom