Shedding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
I was wondering what retaining shed means? Does it mean that the beardie doesn't shed anymore?

Here all the info I know may be asked.
Yoshi
Male
5 Months
12inches from nose to tip of tail. (has about a 2inch tail nip that we noticed when we got him)

40gal breeder
non adhesive shelf liner as substrate
ReptiSun 10.0
150w (temporary until we can get a 100w) heat bulb
2 digital thermometers that measure humidity and the one on the warm side has probe
Warm side temps 100-110
Cool side temps 70-85
Humidity 20-35%

Feeding schedule as follows:
Collard greens and squash served daily
9am 30-40 reptiworms
3pm 30-40 reptiworms
7pm crickets

Lights go on at 7:45-8am
Lights go off at 9pm

He is also given baths 1-2x a week
Has a bowel movement just about every day

Yoshi has a piece of skin where his body meets his tail. It's been like that about a week now. We've given him baths but it doesn't seem to help loosen it. And we know not to pull it off. He has shed his head, face and his arms and legs this week, so we aren't sure it's just taking longer since it's possible the rest of his body is about to shed. Do the sheds take longer as they get older?
Do we need to up the baths he's getting during this time?
Since the skin isn't progressing (just loose) is that the shed retaining?

Any thoughts, tips, advice would be really appreciated :)

TheDeac

Hatchling Member
Shed Retaining means that a piece of skin never sheds off normaly on the tail or toes and can cause toe/tail lose during a shed i up the baths to daily till the shed is done most likely he's about to shed the rest of his body most the time on a retained shed it gets kinda hard and crusty when it goes bad on stubble i usually just do daily baths during a shed and stroke down his body while in the water not pulling any shed off but acting as a branch or rock would generally it comes off almost instantly once wet but DO NOT PULL OR TUG IT this is just what has helped with stubb and alot of the babys at the store for me im sure alot more people here are smarter than me Good luck

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you TheDeac. I appreciate your help :) Will try to give him more baths and see how the shed goes from there.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Lilgreeneyes!

Retained sheds are when a section of skin doesn't shed when it is supposed to. Retained sheds that are not removed after a certain period of time could cause some health issues. If it's on a toe or a tail (like someone else mentioned) the retained shed will constrict that part of the body and it will most likely loes circulation and drop off. The best and easiest way to help a retained shed are nice long warm soaks. Soak Yoshi in a bath for 10-20 minutes a day, and use your finger or a very soft-bristled toothbrush and gently stroke in the direction with the scales (towards the tail) to try and loosen the piece up. Most likely the shed will come off after a couple of baths.

-PumpkinJelly & Fiz

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Lilgreeneyes!

Retained sheds are when a section of skin doesn't shed when it is supposed to. Retained sheds that are not removed after a certain period of time could cause some health issues. If it's on a toe or a tail (like someone else mentioned) the retained shed will constrict that part of the body and it will most likely loes circulation and drop off. The best and easiest way to help a retained shed are nice long warm soaks. Soak Yoshi in a bath for 10-20 minutes a day, and use your finger or a very soft-bristled toothbrush and gently stroke in the direction with the scales (towards the tail) to try and loosen the piece up. Most likely the shed will come off after a couple of baths.

-PumpkinJelly & Fiz

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Pumpkinjelly :)
did the technique you and someone else mentioned about gently stroking the direction of the scales. It seems to have helped because it looks like his body is starting to shed. Thank you all who explained what retaining shed was.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry for the double post! One is in black font and the other is in purple! :D

Hopefully it loosens up. Since your Beardie's retained shed isn't in an area that can restrict blood circulation, you don't have as much to worry about. Just focus on loosening that patch up and getting it to fall off! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom