Shedding or something else??? HELP

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
Ok so I just got Queso a couple days ago and he seemed fine. But this morning I came to feed him and I noticed his tail was loosing color. On top of that he is really just staying in his basking spot all day and won’t let me touch his tail at all. Every time I try to touch it he whips it around and flashes his teeth at me. What do I do? Does he need to see a vet?

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0055.jpeg
    IMG_0055.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so I just got Queso a couple days ago and he seemed fine. But this morning I came to feed him and I noticed his tail was loosing color. On top of that he is really just staying in his basking spot all day and won’t let me touch his tail at all. Every time I try to touch it he whips it around and flashes his teeth at me. What do I do? Does he need to see a vet?
The tail is blending in w/ the hammock so I cant tell if there is a nip or injury on the end ---please get a pic of it by itself - the surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - if your using a analog or IR gun those temps are inaccurate - also your UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils -- they are a health hazard - I can post links for those if you need them we recommend 3 good ones on this forum

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The light color is definitely the start of a shed and looks normal. As mentioned, I can't see the very tip of the tail clearly to see if there is damage, but if that doesn't look crimped or injured then I don't think there is anything to worry about. Sheds can put them in a bad mood (understandably) for a while, but it doesn't usually last too long before they're back to their old self.

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
The tail is blending in w/ the hammock so I cant tell if there is a nip or injury on the end ---please get a pic of it by itself - the surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - if your using a analog or IR gun those temps are inaccurate - also your UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils -- they are a health hazard - I can post links for those if you need them we recommend 3 good ones on this forum

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
This is what the tip looks like: Also is this a coil UVB? Sorry I don’t really know the difference 😅

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 61

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is what the tip looks like: Also is this a coil UVB? Sorry I don’t really know the difference 😅
I see the pinch watch for black appearing if it does its infected --- you can dip the tail in raw filtered honey - it will kill the infection - it should fall off -NO crickets in the tank please they will go straight for the tail - next that is a coil and a health hazard -- please replace w/ one of these they are good for a 40 + gallon tank
posting links these are the best on the market
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 you will need to get the 22" Reptisun bulb for this fixture there is a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO - Hight Output Linear Lamp for desert reptile terrariums. Shop all lighting supplies at Pangea Reptile

www.pangeareptile.com

this one you can find at Pet Smart if you have one 24 watt 12% bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this onehttps://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0= you want the 24" or 2 ft one-- you will need to replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun posted above -- when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you place it for the tank - your screen will determine where it needs to go --- please do this NOW your dragon will stop eating w/ out proper surface basking temps and good UVB -- this is critical

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a normal color on the tail. The tail tip looks a little bent but it could be just the shed. As Karrie
suggested, you can try using the honey on the end to help in case there is any infection or injury going
on.
He is very cute, I hope he does well for you!

Tracie

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hello,

Cute little guy! The tip looks normal other than that it's bent but my beardie has the same tail where there's color and then at the tip there's no color. If it's causing him pain I would watch carefully to make sure that he doesn't show any black bearding stress marks and beard puffed up. Coils are health hazards! I had a Coil and it did not give my beardie the correct health she needed. I would suggest you get a T5 hood and light tube like what I have here:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom