Shedding? or got burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne

Hi,
Topper, my 5 1/2 year old female dragon, almost overnight changed the coloring and texture on her head....I'll post a pic from earlier this month and two more that is her recent state.
Does this look like early shedding or could she have stayed too long under the heat lamp? What can I do to ease her discomfort? The coloring has gone from a darker pale color to a pinkish color and the texture of the top of her head is now much more smoother... I inherited Topper and have only had her since Jan.2015 and she hasn't shed on me yet, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks for any insight!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pictures will be a big help so we can take a look at the areas you're concerned about.

Suzanne

Original Poster
81562-3565071295.jpg
diamc":2nx7wb4k said:
Pictures will be a big help so we can take a look at the areas you're concerned about.

I've successfully uploaded the pics - but how do I get them on here?

81562-3565071295.jpg
81562-5522344173.jpg
81562-3539209534.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like shed to me. The colors don't always look the same when getting ready to shed and at times, can take on a pinkish hue. Looks like her left arm is getting ready to shed too.

How close can she get to the basking bulb? If 10" or further, there shouldn't be any chance of it burning her.

Suzanne

Original Poster
diamc":xa5mzcme said:
It looks like shed to me. The colors don't always look the same when getting ready to shed and at times, can take on a pinkish hue. Looks like her left arm is getting ready to shed too.

How close can she get to the basking bulb?

She's a good 18 inches from it - but I thought if she stayed in one position for very long (which she's known to do) she could have gotten burnt...

She most likely is shedding. I would give her a nice warm soak for 15-20 minutes, then let her sit in the heat for a couple hours. This should help loosen the shed, and it may feel really good to her. If after about a week and you haven't seen shed anywhere on her body I would start making an appointment with a reptile vet. If it is a burn you should probably get some ointment from the vet. Hope you good luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....as others mentioned, it's just shed coming on. No need to worry at all, even if it lingers. I've raised dragons over 20 years and the adults shed in stages,sometimes just the feet, the tail, the back or even half of the back. Some shed can stay on for a month or more, it's not a health problem at all, no need for a vet visit. :)

Suzanne

Original Poster
AHBD":106azf8x said:
Hi there....as others mentioned, it's just shed coming on. No need to worry at all, even if it lingers. I've raised dragons over 20 years and the adults shed in stages,sometimes just the feet, the tail, the back or even half of the back. Some shed can stay on for a month or more, it's not a health problem at all, no need for a vet visit. :)

I really appreciated everyone's input - She loved the soak and I had no idea the shedding could be so random - thanks again!

Hi I just got my first beardie a week or two ago and i have noticed the tip of his tail is gray and he didn't really move it anymore like he used to have it curled up and I'm not sure of its rotting or burned or possible going to shed?
84797-9200955103.jpg
The gray jus grows its now gray on his whole tail and head and limbs and it happened overnight. Is something wrong?
84797-9200955103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zaynah
Top Bottom