Shedding issues or is it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlocs

hey guys I needed some help with my baby BD. Yesterday he shed off most of the tail and I have been noticing that the rest of the body is whiter or duller than usual. So I am taking a wild guess that he's in a full body shed atm. My concerns lie on the fact that today I had his tank open since I was changing out the paper towels and a fly went in there and before i could even move to try and get it out Murks ate the fly! I was in shock for a sec as I know that they could be harmful. Well to begin with 20 mins after that he had turned a greyish dark color on his belly. He started running around and I decided to take him out. Instantly I noticed he was being a little limp so I thought maybe it had to do with impaction from the fly, when i put him in his bowl to bathe him after 4 mins he started putting his head down in the water so I immediately took him out of the water and left him on a towel on the bed where I could keep an eye on him closely. Good thing is that he pooped so that rules out possible impaction. Now the only thing he is doing is laying there not moving at all. he is alert like always, if you walk up to the tank he will raise his head and look at you. He went and hid in his rock where its dark and I could see his is just laying there awake. What could be wrong with my little guy. he has had no interest in eating this afternoon(he ate well in the morning his phoenix worms which today were dusted in vitamins). Is it normal for them to act lethargic when shedding? Im worried about him and Ive been watching him since he ate that fly. any help would be greatly appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think a fly would cause impaction or any immediate problems. I'd guess there is a risk of parasites depending on where the fly has been. It sounds like he's being moody because of the shed. The full body sheds can be especially taxing.

Murlocs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":28lx3drn said:
I don't think a fly would cause impaction or any immediate problems. I'd guess there is a risk of parasites depending on where the fly has been. It sounds like he's being moody because of the shed. The full body sheds can be especially taxing.

yea neither me or my gf have had any problem picking him up till today. He was squirming all over and jumped out of ours hands and burrowed into the blanket. I feel like my sanity has gone out the window with him lol. I used to own a green igunana but the behaviors are no where near the same. His entire body from where the tail starts to the top of his head are slightly discolored. so Im guessing thats were the shed is happening next.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's most likely just a moodiness from shedding, that's pretty common. The fly would be no threat at all, it's just a coincidence that the behavior coincided with his eating of the fly. If you bathe or soak him, be sure to put him back in the tank afterwards since he would be chilled....he cannot generate any heat so room temp. would feel cold to a beardie after a bath. He's probably going to be fine.

Murlocs

Original Poster
AHBD":36neivhb said:
Hi there....it's most likely just a moodiness from shedding, that's pretty common. The fly would be no threat at all, it's just a coincidence that the behavior coincided with his eating of the fly. If you bathe or soak him, be sure to put him back in the tank afterwards since he would be chilled....he cannot generate any heat so room temp. would feel cold to a beardie after a bath. He's probably going to be fine.

Thats good to hear. He finally came out of his cage and he's scratching himself on the glass and on paper towel. He also lightened up a bit. A bit off topic, what calcium powder can I dust his crix with? I have rep cal with d3 but have heard mixed things about the d3. I havent dusted for a week since he has been eating phoenix worms(just multivitamins 2x a week) but just for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom