Shedding Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

koco46

This morning after I turned on the lights I noticed Phoenix was rubbing his head on his log and when he turned around he was bearding at me.

I had to laugh because it was so comical,he rarely beards,then I noticed he had a chunk of skin loose on his head.

This is Phoenix' first shed since he has been with us.We have had him for almost a month now,he is 6-7 months ild,weighs 56g and is up to 11" .

I was wondering is there something I can do to help him/speed this up short of giving him baths?(He already gets baths every other day since he never drinks,or licks up water from anything,not even in the bath)

Can I expect to have different body parts shed next?Anything I should be especially aware of? How long does it take?

I just checked on him and his head looks smoother already,although I really don't see hunks of skin laying around.Also,it looks like only the top of his head is shedding and a little on the corners of his mouth.I always assumed when Beardies shed they would shed all over,is a partial shed like this normal?

DSC_1161.jpg

koco46

Original Poster
Now his legs and tail are shedding also and he looks miserable.

We have given him a long bath and I am tempted to pull the skin off,it is hanging in shreds around his legs.

What is a normal time for a tail shed?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Once the shedding skin is dry and starts to lift off, it's just a matter of hours before it gets rubbed off. If it is already beginning to break off, you can use a soft brush to help it come off. Just be very careful not to pull on any skin that is still attached and stuck down. Dragons in shed need to drink lots of water because their bodies use a lot of water to help force off the old skin. This is also why it is important to wait until it is dry before it comes off, removing shed that isn't ready can result in rapid dehydration. Unfortunately, a full shed can take up to 2 or 3 weeks as it goes through section by section. Some dragons grow so fast, by the time the last section is done shedding, the first one has already started to go into shed again. But that's always a good think, cause at least you know they are growing!

koco46

Original Poster
Thank-you so much for the info,I have been misting him throughout the day,thinking it would be helpful to keep the skin soft and pliable. Should I let it dry out?

Also,would a 10 min. bath every day during the shed be sufficient to keep him hydrated?

He doesn't drink or lick up any water at all,but does eat about a tablespoon full of veggies/fruits a day.

Sorry I seem have so many questions,but this is totally new and I am just a bit worried to take proper care of him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom