Shedding causing lethargy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, my beardie Ike has grown quite a bit since I got him. He went from 9 inches to 13 in the month I have had him. Because of this, he is shedding for the second time. The first shed went along smoothly; no loss of appetite or anything out of the ordinary. Now, this second shed has me worrying. Ike has been trying to go to sleep 1-2 hours before lights out. (lights are on from 8am-9pm). He also has been a bit lazier. I have been giving baths daily to ease along the shed and so far he only shed his tail. After every bath, I Iet him explore my room. He just seems to be a little more lethargic now..
I should also mention that he has puffed up at me and given me black beard! (actually it was sorta dark blue-ish) He has never done this before :/
Could all of this be caused by shedding?

P.S.
uvb is reptisun 10.0 tube mounted in the tank
basking temp 105-109
cool side- mid 80s

P.P.S.
he still eats all his crickets but has not been eating as much greens as he used to

Toyguy

Juvie Member
I think the answer to your questions are all yes, a shed can cause those things. I am sure some of the more experienced folks will jump in also.

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
I'd go and say yes as well too. I know Angus didn't seem to have his normally voracious appetite recently, but then we realized he was going thru a shed. I think sometimes the sheds are more stressing on them than others. Just keep doing what you are doing, especially with the bathing (we do them 2 x a day when he's shedding) and he'll come around.

Oh and they grow worse than weeds in the first year. When we got Angus he was 5-6" and maybe .2 oz, that was a little over 3 months ago and now he's almost 18" and weighing over 10 oz (302 grams).

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
thanks for replying! I didn't know a shed could be so stressful on beardies. You learn something new everyday! :) I'm going to up the baths to twice a day now to see if that helps ease the shed.

definitions

Juvie Member
Yes a shed means your beardie is growing, therefore the beardies body is stretching out like he's tearing out of his skin. You try that and tell me if it's annoying lol. Loss of appetite is big with shedding. some beardies lose it all together some just lose it a little some don't lose it at all.. just depends. I'm sure he's fine , soon as he gets his knew skin he'll be back to normal!

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
I'll update how he's acting after he's finished shedding. Hopefully this odd behavior is the result of the shed.

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
UPDATE! Ike finished shedding today! His colors are super bright! My laptop charger broke so I can't upload pictures ): ( posting this from iPod touch). Anyway, he is full of energy and eating all of his food, but he still gets dark stress marks when he is in his tank! I have no idea what is making him upset! ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EternalAzhrei
Top Bottom