Shedding causing attitude problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Loki has been really worrying me with his attitude lately but today I walked in and he's shedding!!! I guess thats why he's been rubbing against everything in his viv and has been running from me instead of wanting to be held? I'm not sure if this is his first shed,...but it's his first shed since we got him... he's grown about an inch and a half since I got him....about 3 weeks ago, and he's really filling out!! He's eating a LOT and i'm really enjoying watching him grow. How long should I expect him to shed and when should he get back to his normal, friendly self?! Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Is he getting baths to help with his shedding? Curt HATED his baths, but if he was shedding, he would puff his beard if I so much as looked at him. They sure can get cranky when they shed. I miss him.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He finally shed his head today....he's acting alittle better,...still eating a LOT. I give him baths every other day...I'm terrified of impaction and i've heard the warm water can help with digestion as well as hydration, so I try to do it frequently!! If beardies get impacted,...will they continue to eat?! I have so many questions, i'm new at this and really appreciate the replies!! :)

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
Oh yes, lets talk about shedding :? , poor Penny was just a sour puss for two weeks before the real shedding began but I knew she was going to because she was scratching like a dog :oops: . I've been bathing her daily with the spray bottle and soaking ever so often but this past week I've been giving her the bath tub to soak and swim in. Today she was soaked 3 or 4 times at her request, she seems to like swimming very much (ofcourse it's only an inch or two but to her, it's an ocean :D ) so i gave her plenty of shed relief.
It's late for her to be up in her basking spot but she is continuing to work off the shed by stretching her jaw, extending her beard and expanding her belly and scratching against her rock. Thankfully she has almost finished her 4th shed and her back and tail are free...She is relaxing more now and by tomorrow, she should be new and bright but talk about Cranky :roll: .

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Loki has just started trying to black beard me.....Not that he's very good at it yet, he's so small. I think he is finished shedding,...thankfully, but his attitude hasn't gotten any better so far. Hopefully it happens soon, he had been such a sweetheart, I hope he gets his sweet personality back soon!!

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
For the most part my 6 month old has been sweet but she too has had her moments. I've been told that babies can be jumpy and they calm down as they get older. I think it's the approach..My viv is open top with hinged lid and to lift her I have to get her from the top and they don't like being handled from the top so maybe that's that's the cause of the skittish :shock: moods from time to time.

Mine is beginning a shed too, she hasn't gotten a bad attitude yet but I think she's getting dehydrated! she has small wrinkles on her side now, which I read has to do with shedding. I have been bathing her every other day, but i'll start every day now to see if that helps. unfortunately, she HATES her bath, and trys to jump out, and actually can most of the time.
Yesterday I tried to leave her in for a longer time, but she pooped and i'd read that I should get her right out if she does. would it help if I just scoop out the poop instead? I'm really worried about her!!

IMAG0059.jpg

Here are the wrinkles, they may be more pronounced cause she is turned, but it still looks bad to me. :(

sillyjax30

...Josefina just started partial shed...when she sees me she runs behind the plants in her cage and hides from me....she is SO grumpy right now...
:shock:

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Man after reading all of your entries I feel pretty lucky, my little dude doesn't act any differently when he's shedding if anything he's more fussy in the bath and won't sit still but thats about it.
He also started shedding today, maybe the grouchy act its a personality thing? You all have tough guys acting macho! 8)
Photo55.jpg

Photo58.jpg

Photo59.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom