Shed stuck in nostril for 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Desmond has had a piece of dark skin stuck in his nostril for close to two months, ever since his last head shed. The last time this happened, I pulled it out with some tweezers and it came out very easily (it was obviously not attached). I tried grabbing this current skin with the tweezers and it is definitely attached. It seems to be attached at the edge of the nostril, not inside.

I bathe him once a week and increased that to every other day for a few weeks, but it didn't help. I've been giving him water from a dropper, also to no effect.

What should I do next? Is this a retained shed?

jewl495

Juvie Member
If you think it's stuck on the outer part of his nose you could try to rub oil on it. Obviously you don't want to get the oil inside his nostril. Other than that I'm not sure, hope someone else will have do advise.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think it is stuck right on the inside but very close to the outside. The oil just moisturizes? Would I use olive oil?

jewl495

Juvie Member
Yes I've read that olive oil will work for retained shed. Some use coco butter for retained shed. So is it clearly loose but just not falling off? That has to be very uncomfortable.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's like there is a piece of skin covering his nostril, but none on the outside. The outside part shed and left this. I took some pictures this morning to clarify. The darkest part of the skin toward the tip of his mouth is where it is still attached. I can lift it up with tweezers in the side near his eye, but he doesn't want me to do that and I can feel that it is still attached.

21aaZ.jpg

Eky7C.jpg

Here is his good nostril for comparison.

oF6v3.jpg

I think I could get some olive oil on the dark part. It won't be going in his nostril since his nostril is covered with the skin. It is worth a try, at least. I have to take him in to see the vet in a month or so for a checkup, but I'm trying to push it back a little because I've had a bad few months financially. I'm getting concerned about this nose thing, plus he has a few scales on his underside that look like they've fallen off and I don't know what that is about either. Maybe I should take him to the vet sooner rather than later.

jewl495

Juvie Member
How is he acting? Are you hearing any strange sound when he breaths? It may just be the picture but it almost looks crusty to me instead of just skin but the other side looks fine. Hum :? Is there any color to the skin inside? I wouldn't put any oil on the inside of his nose at all, I worry about that causing more damage than good. As for the scales you could always post some pics as well and see what others think. If you can get your little guy to the vet soon it would ease your mind and if he does have anything going on you would be catching it early.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure about it being crusty because I've tried wetting it repeatedly in the bath and then rubbing it gently. You are right, though, between the scales and the nose and he has been acting a bit dark lately - I think I should just take him to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions!

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
My vet dug the last one out. The shed was stuck in. It was in there pretty good. He moistened it and picked, repeat a few times, but he got it out.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LadyMeridius":2pnvds4x said:
My vet dug the last one out. The shed was stuck in. It was in there pretty good. He moistened it and picked, repeat a few times, but he got it out.

Did you notice if it looked like the picture I posted?

I'm going to set up an appointment regardless, but I also saw a thread yesterday about using a baby toothbrush during baths and I'm going to try that. If it is a crustiness, then maybe the toothbrush would work. I'm going to try that today.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jewl495":2tpxvadm said:
Have you tried to get it out with a pair of tweezers or is it that stuck?

I did try with some tweezers and it wasn't going to just come out without me pulling a bit, so I aborted the mission :) Also, Desmond was fine with me sticking tweezers in his nostril until the pulling started, then he tried to get away, which makes me believe that it is still attached.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Success!!!

I gave him a bath and used an extra soft toothbrush on his nostril and when I took him out, the skin/crusty was gone!

Thank you, everyone, for your advice! :D

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Holy cannoli, I was wrong! I just picked him up and saw that there was something in his nostril again! I grabbed it with the tweezers and it came out easily (yay!!!) but it was not just a little thing. It was the whole nostril shed and it just kept coming. It was all black on the inside and looks pretty gross, like a sperm plug. I think the toothbrush might have loosened it because I tried grabbing it after a bath before to no avail.

Now, it is truly gone :) He is running around like a crazy lizard, happy to have that out of his nose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom