She stopped laying! PLEASE ADVISE STAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So im pretty sure that all of the eggs are dead or at least very close to it. I have a theory about the whole situation that I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinion on. My male and female have been seperate for almost 4 months now and after all of the reading and research ive done, it seems as though the eggs that she laid were very far along for 3 or 4 days old. I can see a fully formed baby in 3 of the eggs...which leads m to believe that for some reason she has had at least 3 of the eggs in her for a while. I think the act of giving birth killed them. They were much larger than the rest...so I think that this was all just a strange force of nature...well see if she lays another clutch soon, since im much mor attuned to it now i think that the next on will be very successful. Thanks again everyone, ill kepp you posted in the eggs
Aaron

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Aaron,

I am going to recommend that you take her to the vet for an x-ray to make sure that she is not retaining anymore eggs. That can be dangerous & by you mentioning that some were older than others, that is a little alarming that she retained those for that long.
For now, focus on making sure she is getting adequate calcium & UVB lighting as well. I hope she is doing good.

Tracie

Tatty

Juvie Member
What type of a lay box did you provide her? Beardies are very particular and have been known to retain eggs until conditions are to their liking for laying them. Also, a vet visit is very important. If eggs are retained the vet can give an injection of oxytocin to induce egg laying. Worst case scenario is to surgically remove them from your girl. I'm sure all of us would do whatever necessary to save their life however, so its important to get a medical opinion. Egg binding, retention can be serious business.

:| Tatty

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i took an xray yesterday and she was seen then too (im a vet tech...although not so versed in herps...obviously) and shes getting all the nutrients and lighting she needs...and yeah it is all very wierd and odd, but hopefully just a one time thing...but for now im just glad she is doing great. Since the eggs shes also much more affectionate than shes ever been. I let her out to roam today and all she did was follow me around the house. it was really neat. I hope that if shes going to lay more eggs from this mating that its gonna be much more normal. Fingers crossed!
Oh and the lay box was a rubbermaid that was 14 inches deep and 28 inches long with virmiculite and sand///she was never interested in it...she only laid her eggs under her basking branches so next time im gonna put them over the box to make her more comfy. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks guys!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good you saw a vet & got an x-ray done too. Hopefully if she lays anymore, it will go alot more smoothly.
The laybox you have for her sounds fine. Maybe she will use it next time though.
The oxytocin is good to use if the eggs have dropped already but if they have not dropped, it is not safe to induce labor at that time.
That is great she is doing well today & following you around. She must feel alot better now.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom