Shaking head when eating?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

As many of you have seen in the past, Drogon has adenovirus and needs syringe feeding with Critical care a few times a week. I take it really slow with him, but sometimes mid-feeding he makes a weird noise and shakes his head, almost like something is bothering him or stuck in his mouth?

Any ideas?
Selkie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He may be aspirating on the food. Try going a bit slower and see if it helps

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was thinking the same as xp29 or the possibility that he doesn't want anymore at that moment. If it's more of a tremor it could be neurological. Can you post a current pic of him ? How much does he weigh ?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD @xp29

Hmm, I'm not sure if he's aspirating. I go reallyyyy slow with him and let him control how much he wants to eat. I do little drops on his lips at a time too.

@AHBD It's like after a while he head shakes like something is bothering his mouth or inner beard. Honestly, I'm pretty bad with weighing him, and it's on me. Doctor a few months ago said he's at a good chonk weight, but here's his pic!

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_175511683.jpg
    PXL_20230818_175511683.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 62

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Definitely a big chonky guy ! He's probably even on the upper end of his weight/length ratio for good health and he looks good. :)
Just guessing but the head shaking may be just a reaction to swallowing for some reason, as long as he's not choking it shouldn't be a problem.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thanks @AHBD :) He's my baby lol!

I'll keep an eye on it. Actually, he almost choked on a huge hornworm last week. Thankfully he got it down but he deff had trouble!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is friggen gorgeous 😍
Mine all will sometimes give a quick jerk after hornworms (that seems to be the only thing that causes it) i always attributed it to them swallowing them pretty much whole and the worms still wiggling in thier belly.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aww thanks XP!!! He's my little cranky baby!
He is friggen gorgeous 😍
Mine all will sometimes give a quick jerk after hornworms (that seems to be the only thing that causes it) i always attributed it to them swallowing them pretty much whole and the worms still wiggling in thier belly.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom