Shacklynn bit me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryG

My beardie loves crickets and live food, but is barely interested in eating veggies. She is probably around five months old (12.5" long) so I know it's normal for her to eat more protein than veggies, but I've been trying out veggies to see what she likes.

She'll try a bite of almost anything I have in my hand, but anything that's not moving that I put into her food dish just goes to waste. She will eat the zoo med juvenile bearded dragon pellets but I keep seeing people comment that the "complete diets" are no substitute for feeding real live feeders and vegetables.

So today I took some mashed butternut squash and dipped that into vitamin & calcium powder mixture and then put on top of a small piece of collard greens. I offered the little hors d'oeuvres to her and she gobbled them up happily, the only problem was that she gobbles pacman style until the chunk is gone. After I had fed her a few of the chunks, my thumb got in her way. She didn't break the skin and seemed entirely confused about why I pulled the chunk away while she was still eating. I switched to larger pieces of greens, but she didn't seem as interested in those.

Before today, I had been feeding her the mashed squash on the tip of a fork but she bites down quite hard and after I read that beardies can't regrow all their teeth, I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to break them. I've seen feeding tweezers, but it seems like she could break her teeth on those too. Does anyone have any suggestions for presenting vegetables to her?

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
One idea you could try is possibly put a worm or two under the veggies in her dish. This will make the veggies "move" and should entice her.
I know sometimes they can just pick out the worm and be done, if that happens obviously that won't work. But just an idea you could try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom