SEXING//A NEW ADDITION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I bought my two beardies I was told that my young one Peanut was a female and my other Akon was a male. However, I brought them into my reptile shop and they said that it was the opposite. I'm confused now and it seems that their names would not quite fit so well anymore. :?
Well, here are some pictures, the best I could take, and I'm hoping that someone can confirm who is what gender lol.
Here's a few pictures of Peanut:
CIMG4033.jpg

CIMG4034.jpg

CIMG4053.jpg

And here are a few of Akon:
CIMG4036.jpg

CIMG4044.jpg

CIMG4045.jpg

Thanks so much for looking and I hope to get some responses soon.

Also, I got a new member of the family this past week!! Meet Petrie the Sulcata tortoise! He/She is so darling and here are a couple pics to share as well! Hope you guys like them. :D
Does anyone have any good advice on the best diet or the best way to raise them? I'm open to any help on them because I'm not too familiar with the breed yet. Thanks again!
CIMG4029.jpg

CIMG3991.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I would say that Peanut is a male an Akon is a female. :wink:
You could always add a Mr. or a Ms. to the names they already have. :)

Cute tortoise! :love5:

ilovepeanut

Original Poster
Oh boy! This is quite comical I must say. The transition of calling them a different gender now is mind boggling. It just doesn't feel right, haha. Ah well, it explains why Peanut has been so much more dominant of the two and the only one blackbearding. Thanks for the speedy reply! :D

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
be careful sulcatas get big and get big fast. like humongous big, and most zoos will be un-interested in large sulcatas due to the fact theres too many people trying to give away the big things, because they also eat you out of house an home if not because you run out of room for them, just letting you know if you didnt know they got so big

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm not really sure about this, but I think peanut is a girl and the other one, may also be a female. The first pic of peanut looks female, one of the others looks male. But your male looks male, maybe female. I'm not an expert and I've only had females (that I know of). Zoom Zoom has looked female to me also male for about a day or so.

ilovepeanut

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone! It's very helpful and thank you for those links as well! I think I finally have it the right way around now and Mr. Peanut and Ms. Akon it is for now.

And yes, I am aware of how big my sulcata will be getting, and will be accommodating for his/her growth. They do grow so fast and he/she eats so much already. It's a bit on the picky side though, and was spoiled by it's previous owner. I'm trying to feed him/her a more fiber-filled diet with grasses and hays, but no luck with that yet.
We bought a 40 gal tank on ebay for pick up near our place in the los angeles area for $30 and ended up with the log, rock water dish, heat lamps, digi therm, and bedding plus Petrie so we got a steal. I couldn't say no to that cute face either. The sulcatas his size over in our local pet shops are about $200 just for the tortoise. He/she is quite the expensive little one.

Any other helpful suggestions on the sulcatas? I'm open to anything! :D

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...I have sulcatas. I so love them. One is the size of my fist, one is about 7" and the biggest is about 28#. I have 5 acres to make enclosures for them. They can get to be over 100#! I grow a garden mostly for my tortoises & dragons.

There is a good site for Info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org

If you can get Mazuri tortoise food...it is a pellet...they can eat that, dampened, a couple times a week. Usually feed stores that sell Purina products have it or can order it for you.

Also, to get him used to eating hay & grass, get a coffee grinder & grind some Timothy (never alfalfa) hay & sprinkle it on his other food. Mine eat collard, turnip, and dandelion greens, squash...summer, zucchini, butternut... fresh green beans, hibiscus leaves & flowers, cactus pads, and once a month they get a good spoonful of 100% pumpkin. It is full of good fiber & helps flush parasites out of them. Most important is to let them be outside in the sun to eat grasses & weeds that have not had any fertilizer on it. Also they need a good soak a couple times a week, and a humid hide so they don't pyramid.

Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom