Severe Nail Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennylarsen

Hi All,

Sorry my first post has to be with a problem, but it's these things that tend to get us to actually do things!

My bearded dragon, Merlin, who is probably about 10 months old and generally seems healthy and happy, has managed to damage his nail/nail bed. I'm assuming he did this with his crazy glass dancing, i think getting it stuck between the two panes of glass and then yanking it free. I've altered the viv to prevent it happening again.

Anyway, the nail is currently at 90deg to the normal position (pointing sideways) and there is clearly a gap between the nail and the outer skin. Although Merlin went and sat under, and then on his log looking unhappy for a couple of hours (before I'd noticed anything wrong). He later got up and was happily throwing himself around again.

I've had him out a couple of hours ago and had a closer look, it seems reasonably well attached (I gently moved it to see if it was just held on by scale, it appears more sturdy) and he wasn't bothered by my looking at it.

I plan to remove the playsand in the morning and replace it with paper and give him a bath and then dip it in a weak betadine solution tommorow afternoon when I've had chance to get some. Anything I should be looking out for? Or that I should also be doing?

Cheers,

Kenny

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Oh, poor baby! At least he's not showing the "typical" signs of pain, however, they do hide it extremely well.
Can you post a picture? It does sound like a painful injury.
I'm not an expert, but I think you are on the right path to "treating" it. The betadine should be fine...don't let him drink it though...Kaira tried that one and it scared me half to death!
I do suggest a vet visit to be sure, but that's just my opinion. If there is an open wound, I'd suggest putting a little neosporin on it. The paper towels will help a lot, the sand would likely cause it to become infected or create other problems. Is there anything in his enclosure that he may "catch" the nail on again? If so, I might remove it for the time being...though I know he needs to bask, too. :?
I think the worst thing that could happen is that the nail ends up falling off, but I would watch for signs of infection, too (that'd really be the worst situation). Any swelling, discoloration, or other noticeable, concerning changes, would be an indication of an infection. Which *may* not stop at the nail, but travel up to the toe and foot. So, keep it as clean as possible.
Wait to do what I suggested until someone else confirms that it's safe for this situation.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
I hope he gets better soon,
Abi

kennylarsen

Original Poster
Cheers Abi,

I'll see how it goes, it looks like it's ready to fall off anyway now(nail, not toe!). Spoke to friend who has worked with reptiles in zoos and his advice was pretty much the same, apparently they're remarkably hardy and if you keep infection out most of teh times they heal themselves fairly well.

Kenny

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Kenny,
Glad I was on the right track with my info! :D
How's the nail/toe looking now? Did the nail fall off? If so, I'd continue the betadine or whatever you're using to prevent an infection until a scab or whatever forms and it all heals up.
Glad to hear he's doing good!!! :D
Abi

kennylarsen

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones help.

Just to close the topic, i had a second proper look and determined it was still well attached by a tendon. Decided it needed to come off and before having second thoughts was about to cut the tendon through with a scalpel. However thought better of it and took it to teh vet, who promptly said it was the equivalent of a tendon in a human and cut through it. So it is now off and just needs keeping clean.

Thanks again,

Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom