severe impaction dont no wat to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
sandfirebeard":604d5 said:
wow i have never new that so would it be okay to use halogen as a spot bulb since the reptiglo arent good
I'm confused by your question. You are using a Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent UVB, right? If so, that is a good bulb. Your beardie should be 6 to 8" from that bulb and your basking bulb should be right alongside it so he can get benefits of both bulbs when in his basking area.

All compact & coil UVB's are dangerous and there have been many problems associated with them, this includes all brands of coils and compacts, even the Repti-Sun and Repti-Glo so please stay away from those. There have also been issues/problems when using the Rept-Glo 10.0 strip fluorescent, so that should also be avoided if possible.

Not sure what you were asking about using a halogen bulb? Were you asking if ok to use one of those as a basking bulb? Once you clarify your question, can help further.

It's critical that you get either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe on the end as those are the only 2 ways to get accurate readings. Without good reading, it will affect the total health of your beardie, causing digestion problems, impaction, etc. because if the temps in the tank are actually too high, your beardie will avoid basking so that will slow down his whole system. And if the temps are actually too low, it will prevent proper digestion causing impaction issues, loss of appetite and even lethargy. Walmart has the AcuRite brand digital thermometer for about $12.00 and it gives both basking and cool side temps in the same 45 min timeframe and it also has a humidity readout which is a good thing to know. It is well worth the price and quite a few members here use that one. In the store, you should find it where the outdoor plastic thermometers are sold. I suggest you get an accurate thermometer asap to help your beardie improve. Here's a picture:
100_0297.jpg

How is your beardie doing today? Are you just feeding him babyfood slurry now to help him totally pass the impaction?

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
okay i have reptiglo bulbs as my spot bulbs and reptisun 10.0 uvb for my calcium and vitamins , i waas wondering if it is okay to use a halogen as one and my beardie is doing awesome he's eating medium crickets and his greens and slowly adding on more wieght. thankx

paul

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...You can use a halogen lightbulb or a regular household bulb for your heat/basking bulb. No colored bulbs. And that needs to be on one end of the enclosure right beside your ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube UVB bulb. The UVB needs to be replaced every 6 months cause even tho it still gives off light, it doesn't give off UVB rays after 6 months. The UVB needs to be 6"-8" from your dragon. Temp needs to be 100-110 at the basking spot and 75-80 at the cool end. If it is cooler than 65 at night, use a ceramic heat emitter. It only throws heat, no light.

NO superworms til he is at least 16" long. No mealworms. Make sure his crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes.

Let us know how it goes.
Good luck
Patsy

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
yea thanks alot i actually did that and everything is fine i will post some pictures of him as soon as i figure out how lol but he is eating and pooping reguarly avery day

thankx paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom