Several Feeding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xexus

1) I've been feeding my Beardie, Eve, Superworms for the last 3 weeks, I was doing some research online and found out there high in pottassium. I was questioning whether or not to get Phoenix worms and use those as a staple is that a better idea since they contain high calcium?

2) If I get the Phoenix Worms would I still need to calcium dust them even though they are high in calcium?

3) Since they're high in calcium would I need to add in Superworms every now and then to balance Calcium and Pottassium?

4) I'm currently feeding her, veg, ( Kale, Yellow Squash, Mustard Greens, and I throw grapes in every now and then along with hibiscus) is this an alright diet for a Beardie?

Youkai

Hatchling Member
My beardie is still too young for supers, so I don't know this for sure, but I believe people tend to give superworms as more of a treat and not a staple. This also relates a lot to how old/large your beardie is. I don't think they are a good staple for younger beardies..

That being said:

1.) Phoenix Worms are an excellent staple, they are pretty well recommended by the more experienced members. I've switched my beardie to PW's as a staple since they are so much easier to keep than crickets and I don't have to worry about the chitin factor of most worms.

2.) I wouldn't suggest dusting them with calcium, and as long as you have a good UVB source your beardie can produce D3 just fine from the calcium in the PW's.

3.) Could you be thinking of phosphorous and not potassium? PW's have almost a perfect ratio of calcium to phosphorous so there's no need to worry about too much or too little there. (from everything I've read)

4.) There's an excellent chart here: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html that should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about greens/veggies and what's best for your beardie.
I can personally attest to the kale and the mustard greens being pretty good for them as I feed my Sakura those on a regular basis and she loves them. (she loves just about any greens I put in her dish..LOL )

Hope that helps!

Xexus

Original Poster
Oops "feeling a stupid moment"
Yes sorry I mean't phosporous.
Alright thank you. And do you think the veg is a good diet or no?

Youkai

Hatchling Member
That diet sounds pretty good to me, nothing harmful as far as I can tell. The grapes and the hibiscus should be an "occasional" thing, but that's what you're doing...so yeah. :mrgreen:

(no such thing as stupid moments, everyone flubs up sometimes, everyone has to learn, and no one knows everything!! :D )

Xexus

Original Poster
Alright thanks. :)
I love my autn I give her props for the Hibiscus, she owns four dogs who are always outside in there garden so a guarantee of no pesticides. :)

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Just a note - superworms make a fine staple for an adult dragon, many of us use them. If you want to change feeders that's up to you of course, I just wanted to let you know you're not doing anything wrong or harmful by using supers with your girl.

Pheonix worms are a good feeder, the main problem I have with them (besides the fact that my dragon won't eat them) is that they're so small it takes more of them to fill a dragon up and the price really adds up.

I beleive Kale is an "occassional" green, not something to be used everyday. The everyday staple greens include collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, turnip greens, and mustard greens, I would suggest changing up her salad occassionally, using veggies other than squash. There's been some talk about too much squash being not the greatest for your dragon because of it's high starch content, plus the more variety you provide for her the healthier her diet will be (and it's easiest to offer variety with her veggies).

Xexus

Original Poster
Alright thanks :)
I'll keep this in mind.
My friend mentioned Silkworms are they good or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom