Setting up a larger viv. Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scored a great deal on eBay today for a brand new Reptile One Saburra 120cm vivarium with the cabinet stand for a wonderful price (viv alone is sold in stores for double of what I paid). I am very pleased! :D

2hwmdlw.jpg

But there's a few things I'd like to do differently to my current set up when it comes to light fittings and such, as well as a few other issues/concerns some of you fine people may be able to help me with and/or suggest other ideas.

**the photos are not mine, they're just examples I've found on Google**

Firstly, this viv has a boxed part for the fluorescent tube fitting.

- Aside from possibly not providing as much light throughout the viv, I am wondering if it would block any of the UV getting to the front, if that's even an issue...?

- Do I need to mount it a bit lower, or will it be fine?

- Does anyone have any tips on mounting it? I'd prefer not to screw it in.

- Is a 24" tube long enough?

- Is the best position to mount it in the middle or more over to the basking side?

10i9uzq.jpg

There's also a mesh on the bottom which I am going to remove and place it over the hole at the back as I know the mesh will filter out some of the UV.

qrc7df.jpg

35l4sgj.jpg

I like this fitting they're using for the MVB. I think it would be handy for a normal basking bulb since I can position it to get the best temps. My plan would to have one on either side, so that I have a spare fitting for a CHE if needed in the winter.

332mcnc.jpg

- Any recommendations for a thermostat or dimmer?

As for substrate, I'd probably stick with the lino I have now. I have some other pieces I can cut it fit the extra length of the new viv. Maybe put a section with some fake grass and a dig box.

Does that all sound ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom