Sensitive Beardie Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudk

So. For awhile now. I've been using the "beautiful dragons feeding chart". Feeding him collard greens, veggies, some dubia, and lots of other healthy stuff. But. I just had a constipation scare. He didn't poo for almost 3 weeks when he finally pooed(thx to the advice here), but now i'm worried that it'll happen again. We used to feed him pellets, the rare silkworm and lettuce yrs ago. I now know better. But. When he ate that. He pooed regularly and completely. So. I was thinking of starting to feed him pellets covered with baby foods and collard greens. Would this be too bad for his health? I know pellets are not the 100% optimal. But not pooing isn't good either. I'm thinking i'll have to switch his diet to prevent the constipation again. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Pellet recommendations would be nice too. Thanks.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I think that it is more likely that other factors are the major contributors to his constipation - hydration and proper temperatures have a lot to do with digestion (and therefore waste production). Does he get bathed regularly? How are the temperatures in his tank?

I think it's fine to add pellets in as part of his diet - I used them as "croutons" on my dragon's salad to add more variety to her diet, as well as to get her used to eating them in case i was ever in an emergency situation where that was the only food I could provide for her.

Cloudk

Original Poster
Cool side 75-80 basking is 95-100(recent recommended change. Was 110+). Soaks are probably once a week or so. I was thinking maybe soaking him more. It was previously suggested that he may be getting dehydrated from his temps being too hot, which seems likely. But i think something about his diet is playing a role as well. Quick question: I fed him some wax worms last month and it seems that he didn't digest the skin at all. Is this normal?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Not sure about the wax worms, I've never used them, sorry.

Increasing the frequency of his baths would probably be a good idea. You could also try misting down his salads so that they have more moisture to them as well, or adding silkworms into his diet (from what I recall they're fairly "juicy" bugs). Each dragon is a little different, I hope you figure out what works for your guy soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom