Semi-urgent heating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurtonRW

So... being total noobs, we didn't set up Alynga's enclosure until we had brought her home. Didn't find this site until I was already convinced we were unprepared, but the good news is, it's been about 3 days and I think we're close to getting it right.

My semi-urgent question (or maybe I'm being paranoid) is whether she'll cook herself under the basking light. Right now, the temp in the center of the basking spot is 110 (maybe + a little), but that's with a digital probe sitting there for only about 5 minutes. I don't know if it's too much higher than that.

The cool side of the cage was hovering around 85 yesterday, and it's a little cooler so far this morning (was 75 earlier), but I'm sure it will heat up, as her lights had only been on for about an hour.

My question is this - she's sitting with her head as close to the basking bulb as she can get it. Her body stretches away from it, so the hottest point will be her head. Is she going to cook herself if it's a little too warm? Can I assume that she'll move someplace cooler (either backing away from the top of her fake branch or over to the cool side completely) if she gets uncomfortable?

Thanks.

-Rob (nervous new parent)

MauDragon

Hey,

As long as the temperature stays on 110 degree, she'll be fine. What kind of thermometer are you using? Analog thermometers aren't accurate so I'm hoping you're using a digital or an infrared because it might be possible that you're temperature is way off the safe range. How old is she? Juvenile beardies like heat more than adult dragons. The average temp. a juvy wants is 100-110C because they'll be needing more heat to digest insects, not like adults who mostly eat veggies. Anyways, I think beardies have an instinct that if they're getting hot, they'll find a cool spot in the vicinity, so you and your beardie should worry nothing! :)

Sacho~

BurtonRW

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

I'm using a digital thermometer/hygrometer with probes. No reason to doubt accuracy. Just not sure how long it really takes for the thermometer probe to stabilize.

I had purchased a well-reviewed temperature gun the other day, but when it measured an ice cube anywhere from 38F to 188F and everywhere in the middle, I figured I needed something more reliable. LOL.

My main concern was that she might overheat her head while waiting for the rest of her body to catch up. She's only 7 mos. old, but pretty big (I think).

MauDragon

You're welcome!

Most digital thermometer get its peak temp. in 45 mins, and some people wait an hour and a half just to be safe. So you still should monitor your temps until an hour and a half passes.

That's pretty unusual for a temp. gun Maybe it was broken or something, you should probably return it and try another brand. People here suggest buying one from tempgun.com

Well, as long as she's not gaping often, you shouldn't worry. But just to be on the safe side, always have one digital thermometer in her hot spot so you could look at it anytime.

Sacho~

BurtonRW

Original Poster
Part of the problem may be that her hot spot is at the top end of an inclined branch. She doesn't have any trouble sitting there, but perhaps it needs to be a bit more level? Last night while I was adjusting the bulb, all she wanted to do was sit on the probe (she wasn't being helpful at all, really).

MauDragon

If that's the case, then you should change her branch with another one that is inclined but has more flat space where you can put the probe. Or if you don't want to do any hard work, invest in another brand of temp. gun

Note: The inclination is for a more varied temperature in the hot spot.

Sacho~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom