Semi-Brumation activity levels AND a vet visit concerns

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my Chubbs has woken up today (first time on her own) the last time was due to a wellness check vet appointment (October 22nd). Of course the day she wakes up on her own I am unprepared (no fresh greens or bugs 😔) so I let her bask. Then decided I'd offer a bath and she instantly tried dive bombing into the water (caught her MULTIPLE times) she drank a ton and then was alert and playful swimming dunking her head splashing around etc. She also pooped though it was slow due to her basically being on autopilot (hasn't eaten since late September) now she is basking after her tubby and is a gorgeous yellow/white tint

Would giving her another bath tomorrow and then feeding her be too much? I think today was just a bit of a fluke and she peaked out and then came out to warm up. The vet said if either beardies bask or if I give them a bath I should offer food but just a few bugs due to them being for the most part inactive.

Note: Last night both enclosures dropped to 72 degrees could this be why Chubbs came out to bask? Though Amber seems content on sleeping rather than being active

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys my Chubbs has woken up today (first time on her own) the last time was due to a wellness check vet appointment (October 22nd). Of course the day she wakes up on her own I am unprepared (no fresh greens or bugs 😔) so I let her bask. Then decided I'd offer a bath and she instantly tried dive bombing into the water (caught her MULTIPLE times) she drank a ton and then was alert and playful swimming dunking her head splashing around etc. She also pooped though it was slow due to her basically being on autopilot (hasn't eaten since late September) now she is basking after her tubby and is a gorgeous yellow/white tint

Would giving her another bath tomorrow and then feeding her be too much? I think today was just a bit of a fluke and she peaked out and then came out to warm up. The vet said if either beardies bask or if I give them a bath I should offer food but just a few bugs due to them being for the most part inactive.

Note: Last night both enclosures dropped to 72 degrees could this be why Chubbs came out to bask? Though Amber seems content on sleeping rather than being active
If she does eat she probably wont eat much- offer it to her see what she does- as far as bathing you can but watch so she doesnt aspirate the water --

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If she does eat she probably wont eat much- offer it to her see what she does- as far as bathing you can but watch so she doesnt aspirate the water --
Like inhaling the water rather than drinking? She does this little trick she basically will level her mouth and head with the water and open slightly then drink.

She did have a bubble or two while doing this which concerned me but she didn't seem like she was coughing water spitting it out or sneezing or in distress. I did however make sure she didn't doze off while soaking I had my hand gently under her belly till she was fully awake and then she wanted to play and swim

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Like inhaling the water rather than drinking? She does this little trick she basically will level her mouth and head with the water and open slightly then drink.

She did have a bubble or two while doing this which concerned me but she didn't seem like she was coughing water spitting it out or sneezing or in distress. I did however make sure she didn't doze off while soaking I had my hand gently under her belly till she was fully awake and then she wanted to play and swim
If shes drinking too fast she will get too much causing aspiration -- just watch her and if she does this pull her

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If shes drinking too fast she will get too much causing aspiration -- just watch her and if she does this pull her
Ah I see ok thank you I didn't think she could drink too fast but that does make sense she is stretched out now

Attachments

• 17016238089393892426950141948720.jpg
    17016238089393892426950141948720.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 44

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a very large girl, she could do with a slight reduction in feeding, especially insects. That way you'll have a healthier beardie for a longer time to jump + play in the water. She looks happy + alert there ! :)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She's a very large girl, she could do with a slight reduction in feeding, especially insects. That way you'll have a healthier beardie for a longer time to jump + play in the water. She looks happy + alert there ! :)
The vet said she has enough weight to go awhile without eating in case she decided to not come out while brumating. She's a special beardie she wasn't cared for properly and has partial MBD due to neglect (Petco and a neglectful owner).

I'm just glad she knows I love her and try my best to keep her healthy and active 😊 she also loses around 30G+ during the winter. She is around 650G down from 700G she is stubborn and is bug crazy but I don't give in till she eats her greens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She does look very good, so no worries about weight loss right now. She probably wont eat much if she
did come out to bask again. Their system does slow down quite a bit so their metabolisms are slow too.
I hate to hear she was neglected before you brought her home but I'm sure she is making up for it now,
bless her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The vet said she has enough weight to go awhile without eating in case she decided to not come out while brumating. She's a special beardie she wasn't cared for properly and has partial MBD due to neglect (Petco and a neglectful owner).

I'm just glad she knows I love her and try my best to keep her healthy and active 😊 she also loses around 30G+ during the winter. She is around 650G down from 700G she is stubborn and is bug crazy but I don't give in till she eats her greens.
Very true, they don't need to eat during brumation but once she does start you can use less insects than before to help her trim down just a little. That's good that you feed her greens first, those supply so many nutrients. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think she will be just fine. I'm sure she is very grateful you took her in! Keep us posted on how
she is doing.

Tracie

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I think she will be just fine. I'm sure she is very grateful you took her in! Keep us posted on how
she is doing.

Tracie
She came out tonight as I'm writing this I decided to give her a bath and she was drinking water like usual. I swear if I didn't know what a bearded dragon was she would pass as a water dragon she LOVES swimming 😁.

Sadly I only have mealworms on tap for her but she won't be picky I'm sure as the vet said if I give her a bath a little food is a good idea afterwards

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom