Self adhesive vinyl tile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm just started fixing my beardies home and I bought a self adhesive vinyl tiles that has texture to help with traction and I was thinking of putting tiles but change mind cause with tile I won't be able to move around my viv due to weight...LOL... and vinyl are easy to clean and I used silicone for aquarium to seal it around....I will post pictures soon I have to figure it out how...LOL...I know some one here has used this type of flooring? hope its really good cause I already installed it and will last for awhile?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Darlene, nice to see you here. Sorry, but I have to let you know that we don't really recommend using anything in the tanks that are self-adhesive ex: shelf liner and tiles because the lights beating down on them will cause toxic fumes in the tank. We usually suggest non-adhesive shelf liner or slate tiles. Actually, what you could do is pick up some slate tiles from a place like Home Depot or Lowe's and lay them right over top of the vinyl tiles and as long as they are completely covered up, you shouldn't have any problem with fumes. If we can help any further, let us know. :wink:

Darlene2009

Original Poster
diamc":157ee said:
Hi Darlene, nice to see you here. Sorry, but I have to let you know that we don't really recommend using anything in the tanks that are self-adhesive ex: shelf liner and tiles because the lights beating down on them will cause toxic fumes in the tank. We usually suggest non-adhesive shelf liner or slate tiles. Actually, what you could do is pick up some slate tiles from a place like Home Depot or Lowe's and lay them right over top of the vinyl tiles and as long as they are completely covered up, you shouldn't have any problem with fumes. If we can help any further, let us know. :wink:

Ok They're permanently glued on the floor of my 40 gal rep viv now I can cover it with tiles where the basking spot is? I saw people that used them and have no problem I'm kinda confused now so what do I do ?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you think that maybe you saw slate tiles instead in some tanks? Was it in the Enclosures forum here? To be safe, I would recommend that you do cover them up if you can't remove them. Beardies are quite receptive to things like fumes, wouldn't want anything to happen. Also, the slate tiles help wear their nails down and also retain the heat well too. Gee, I really didn't mean to burst your bubble, I'm sure it looks very nice. :oops:

Darlene2009

Original Poster
diamc":a3cfe said:
Do you think that maybe you saw slate tiles instead in some tanks? Was it in the Enclosures forum here? To be safe, I would recommend that you do cover them up if you can't remove them. Beardies are quite receptive to things like fumes, wouldn't want anything to happen. Also, the slate tiles help wear their nails down and also retain the heat well too. Gee, I really didn't mean to burst your bubble, I'm sure it looks very nice. :oops:

Yep it's pretty alright I wasted a tube of silicone and the vinyl tile is 5 dollars for two so pretty much wasted time and freaking money! :shock: I told my DH I made a really cool project even take pictures :banghead: :cry: Gee I was so proud I finishes it and gee. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it's better to find out now than to have something happen to your beardies though, right? Suppose I or someone else had read this and didn't say anything about it.

Darlene2009

Original Poster
diamc":6091a said:
Well, it's better to find out now than to have something happen to your beardies though, right? Suppose I or someone else had read this and didn't say anything about it.

Thanks! I'm ripping it off now what a hassle...But I don't want anything to happen to my beardie thanks again

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really is too bad, but actually the safest. You'll have to check out all the slate tiles that are available, some neat patterns and colors and they are very cheap. When you get a chance, take a look at some of the tank pics in the Enclosure forum.

Darlene2009

Original Poster
diamc":e5179 said:
It really is too bad, but actually the safest. You'll have to check out all the slate tiles that are available, some neat patterns and colors and they are very cheap. When you get a chance, take a look at some of the tank pics in the Enclosure forum.

My hands bleeding from ripping the freaking vinyl off :cry: I cleaned it out really good and now I'm off to freaking HOME DEPOT thanks again for letting me know I would die if my baby gets sick from it thanks again

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry I had to be the one to tell you but since this forum is all about what is best for them, I had to speak up. We have all made mistakes and are all learning new things every day. Sorry to hear that your hand is bleeding, make sure to wash it well. Let us know how you make out and what you find at Home Depot.

Darlene2009

Original Poster
ok got a natural looking with texture tile in terracotta color and I can't find one that really fits my viv and Home Depot don't cut tile :shock: so now my tiles off by 2 1/2 "....Gee now I have to find to put something in between that size and what do I use to grout? ,that's safe?

Darlene2009

Original Poster
OK now I returned the freaking tile they're too small and they don't cut @ Home Depot :( I got tired of buying and returning and ripping them off geeeeezzzzz! So now I'm using paper towels >>>>>>sighs<<<<<<<< :shock: :shock: :shock: My hands and fingers are all cut up and bruised up from trying to change the flooring that doesn't work so if anyone has any suggestions thats easy to do please????

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez, you've had quite a time of it. Actually, Lowe's cuts tile or you could do what we did and pick up a tile cutter, not the electric type but the hand held ones, I think it cost about $6.00. You have to cut them on the wrong side we found out or they will break unevenly. Another choice would be to get non-adhesive shelf liner from a place like Walmart, lots of colors and prints available but don't get any with holes in it because the poop would go right through it. The Duck brand comes in a big roll for about $8.00 and you can get some that is cushioned.

singtoyou

Hatchling Member
Hi Diamc,

Josie here, Jack's Mom,

Say this last weekend I took out the sand I was using for Jack, and replaced it with slate tiles.
But I have a 40 Gallon show tank and so the tile didn't fit right. Where did you get your hand held
tile cutter at. I want one.
Thanks
Josie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I actually got it at Lowe's where I got the tile and right across from all the tiles hanging up. If you can't find one, I'm sure the employees would be happy to find it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom