Screen, UVB placement, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sazzy

I've heard that it is best to not allow the UVB to have to filter through a screen, but I am so paranoid of my dragon burning himself. Any advice on ways to prevent a dragon from accidentally getting harmed, and good tips on how to mount the UVB inside the vivarium?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The UVB bulbs really don't put off much heat, at least not enough to cause a thermal burn.

The screen does cut down on the amount of UV that the dragon is exposed to, but placing it on the screen can still work.

For instance, the t5 HO reptisun 10.0 is very strong. For proper exposure, it should be around 12 inches from the basking site. Since the screen will cut down some of it's output, you will want to have it around 8 inches or so from the basking site if it sits on the screen.

Now, if you have an MVB, you definitely don't want your dragon to get close to it as they get very hot and can cause burns.

So, if you post a picture of your setup, and tell us which lights you are using, we can help guide you better :)

-Brandon

Sazzy

Original Poster
I've got the same light you talked about, I love the reptisun brand. His basking area is about 7 inches beneath the light while it sits on the screen.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, then as long as its the T5 HO and not the standard t8, that distance is just fine :)

-Brandon

Sazzy

Original Poster
Ok thanks! I'm one of those paranoid pet-owners, and getting used to a desert species after owning a tropical species for so long, I wanna make sure I'm not doing anything to harm him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom