Scientific Research on Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very interested in researching every aspect of my bearded dragon care. I see there is a lot of research into calcium supplements and there is a definite need for calcium and D3 and a few other supplements in captive dragons that is well researched.

One area that I'm struggling to find anything on is bee pollen.

I was recently research grapefruit seed extract and it appears that there is no actual trials or scientific evidence to support the health benefits of GSE, in fact a lot of benefits noted appear to come from chemicals added to the supplement.

I was just wandering if anyone knew of any research papers or trials that looked into the health benefits of bee pollen. I know that it can be good to make fussy dragons eat there greens, but I wondered if there was any actual evidence to other things that it claims to do.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't think there is a lot of research for supplements for reptiles. (or reptile research in general really) Most of what I know of supplements is anecdotal. Bee pollen for instance seems to help with their appetites as you said. It's full of protein, vitamins, and minerals which should be good. I used it when I was nursing my dragon back to health and it certainly didn't seem to hurt his recovery and appetite buildup. I try to stick to a varied diet including lots of veges figuring that a well balanced diet should be able to give them the nutrients they need to be healthy. Again anecdotal but my guy seems to be pretty happy and healthy. I wish I had more for you by way of research results though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom