Scared to let her go

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

So I've had my dragon since she was 2-3 weeks old and she is now about 3.5 months. She was very skiddish and I have been working slowly with her to gain her trust. I have been holding her in my hand in her tank, so if she squirms away or jumps off, she is safe. I have recently been holding her outside of her tank, but just sitting beside her tank in case she gets squirmy. Usually will sit in my hand for a few minutes and then want to squirm and I'll put her back. I know I need to start upping the interaction, so my next goal is to put her on my chest. I'm just really nervous that if she runs off, what if I can't get her back? I know everyone says do this in a safe room, and this would be my bedroom, but I can't baracade the whole bed, so what if she jumps off? I'm worried that she could run under the dresser or into the back of the closet or something if she's scared. I know I could get her back, but I feel that chasing her would be very stressful and would set our progress back. Because she always runs a bit when I first try to pick her up, so I'm nervous that if I have to try to pick her up in an open space that she could really run away. I'm just really nervous to take that step and not panic if she wants to run around the bed. I would instantly want to pick her back up to make sure she's safe but I also know she should be able to run and explore. Help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There's no rush. If you aren't comfortable having her out of the tank you can keep her there until she gets a bit bigger. Usually if they get under a bed or couch they can be retrieved easily enough. You'll want to cover vents (if the holes are big enough for her to get through) and anything with a large dropoff or any area you can't easily get to/under/in. After a while they establish a bit of a routine and you can figure out which of their favorite hiding places they go to. It's best not to do that until you're comfortable and can supervise very closely though. Sometimes folks will tie a bright string around their tail or waist to help track them but this also needs close supervision to ensure they don't snag on something.

KLB85

Original Poster
Yes I would definitely supervise her with an eagle eye, because I'm so worried! The drop I'm worried about is the bed, if she gets scared and jumps off. Luckily our boxspring and mattress are at floor level, so at least it wouldn't be as bad as a bed on a high frame. But lately she's been really good at just sitting in my hand and then I sort of cup my other hand slightly around her and pet her as a talk to her gently. She doesn't squirm and I've started moving away from her tank, across the room to show her the window. When I walk, or move up or down, she sometimes gets tense and curls her tail around me, like she thinks she's going to fall. She's never experience the movement of walking with her, so I think that's freaking her out a bit. As soon as I feel her tense, I just stop until she relaxes again and then take a few more steps. I think she just has to get used to it. She also gets really bright when I hold her, because I think I'm warming her up with my hands? Or does that mean she's also happy? Also, when I do put her on my chest for the first time, I've read that you can hold you finger on the base of their tail and that will stop them from running away? But what if she gets squirmy and tries to run? I don't want to push down on her tail and hurt her (?)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The bright colors likely mean she's happy and warm. They tense up when they feel unstable so it's best to hold both feet and hands at the same time. They also tense up when they are raised or lowered quickly so it's best to do that slowly. They bounce right back after it though, it's just an unusual sensation for them I think. I wouldn't pin her tail. When I'm holding them to my chest I usually just cover them with one hand and if they get squirmy I let them down to the floor or back to the tank.

KLB85

Original Poster
Okay thanks, I'm glad you agree on the tail thing, I don't want to do anything that might hurt her or break the trust we're building. I think she does enjoy her time out because she gets nice and warm and she looks around really curiously. Right now I'm only doing this for 5-10 mins at a time, as to not overwhelm her and I'm doing it a couple times a day. I think I will take the plunge in the next few days to put her on my chest and if she gets away from me, hopefully she lets me calmly pick her up. I'll let you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom