SCARED TO HANDLE!! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 13 year old son a beardie about a year ago, so the beardie is about a little over a year old, and he won't handle him. I do a little (about 1 every two months. I am scared he will bite me, he never has or even tried, but I am still a chicken...any suggestions?

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Try wrapping the beardie in a small blanket at night to snuggle him. Do it at night when it's time for lights outthis helps with bonding. Also putting a shirt that has been worn in the cage will help familiarize them with your scent. Dragons usually don't bite unless scared or provoked. Mine has bit me 1 time and that was my fault I had just eat breakfast,but she hadn't eat and she decided my fingers smelled good. After that she got this look on her face as if to say"Mommmy,I'm sorry I bit you but your fingers smelled so good I won't do it again and she never has.She is over a year old and loves to be held and snuggled.

puffysmama

Original Poster
AWWWW that is sweeet, I just love my puffy, and the 5th time I held him, i held him on my shoulder and he ran up in hair, LOL, I am also scared he will get away from me and run away... do they usually run when you let them down?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Allot of us let them run around on the floor with supervision. Mine is able to get back into her viv, so I let her run around on the living room floor and when she is done she goes back inside her viv to get warm. If there is a spot where the light comes in a window or door they will usually find it and bask. :D

puffysmama

Original Poster
OK. Thank you, since he is a little over a year old and has never been on the floor before, shall I worry?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
We can't help from being worry warts. Just start in a small room that you can control the environment in like the bathroom. Or start by letting him run around on the bed or couch. Smaller area = more relaxed you. :D Just gotta make sure there is nothing on the floor for him to eat and make sure corners and under couch is free of dust bunnies :lol: Mine likes to get ahold of the dogs rawhide chews. Gotta get a video of Scorch chewing on a rawhide. Too funny.

puffysmama

Original Poster
LOL thank you very much. Your beardie looks big, how old is he? Mine has been scratching at the glass, he wants out soo bad...I think I will get brave and get him out on my bed now. :D

puffysmama

Original Poster
OK darn it!! :roll: I am still to nervous to pick him up.....right now he is on his log chilling with his mouth open ..... he's showing off his teeth...I am just too chicken :oops: LOL

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Don't be afraid. Beardies are the sweetest. When you pick him up just approach from underneath so the palm of your hand is under him and support his feet like you would a dog or a rabbit so he feels safe. My beardie unintentionally bit me once when I stuck my finger right into her mouth trying to retrieve something she had gotten ahold of that I didn't want her to eat. It was just a pinch and didn't even break the skin. I would gladly do it again, and am not the least bit afraid of being bitten, it really didn't hurt. They are not the type to hold on and not let go.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
If his mouth is open he is probably thermo-regulating(fancy word for cooling off) Just approach him gently and scoop him up supporting his belly as the above poster mentioned. Just a note.If he's anything like mine,if he feels he's not secure he may whip his tale,just talk calmly to him and steady him and he should be fine,wish I was there,I could pick him up calm him and hand him to you. Take it slow and easy,why before long(If you can get him snuggled) you'll be on here talking about how much you love snuggling,believe me(I hated reptiles and wouldn't touch one for years) they are ADDICTIVE.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
You're welcome. As most people will tell you on here whatever you give to a beardie you will get back 10 fold. They are the best!! Scorch also technically belongs to my 15 year old son and he does pay attention to her, but my husband and I dote on her so much he gets annoyed.

puffysmama

Original Poster
Thank you both sooo much, you have been VERY helpful, I am soo glad I came across this website, and I will be on here ALOT!!! LOL

puffysmama

Original Poster
OK just seeing if this works......NEWBIE...LOL
PictureorVideo035.jpg

puffysmama

Original Poster
OOOPS, that is big HUH? :oops: That is him waving at us when we first got him as a baby......soooo cute. kinda fuzzy pic tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom