SB no BS...the truth about Silkbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynchy217

Hi, So, like many people in the bearded dragon community, I find silkback dragons to be quite interesting. I have tried to do some research around other forums, but every post i see turns into a battle. I don't want that for this, and I would apologize in advance to the admins if this thread degrades to that. I am wondering if there is any real evidence (scientific, anecdotal or otherwise) that any of you have pertaining to the care of silkback dragons. first, are there any health risks that they face that normal beardies dont, and if so, can these issues be nullified with adjustments to husbandry?

Once again, I do not want this to turn into an opinion or a bashing thread. please DO NOT bring up Dachiu or AV, I am asking specifically about the ability for these animals to be kept in captivity, so I am not concerned with their ability to survive in the wild. and please no comments like "THESE THINGS ARE MONSTERS" unless you can back up with evidence why they should not be kept. so far, I understand their history, but other than that the only real information ive gotten is that they absorb UVB a lot faster and are more susceptible to burns, but I have also heard that this can be a non-issue if lotion is applied twice weekly. Does anyone else have any experience/information about these guys? Also, do not bring up inbreeding unless you are talking about italian leatherbacks as a whole (an argument that i find untennable given the amount of healthy leatherbacks around...although i am open to what you have to say)

also, if this doesnt belong in health, any suggestions as to where it does belong?

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Burning and the absorption of UVB is a concern with them, also is the fact that their skin is more easily torn so care must be taken with the decorations in their enclosures. I've never personally owned one but I have done some reading on them and those issues played a big actor in me personally choosing not to own one.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Having raised a few from about 1 week old to sub adult, I havent found any true difference in care other than the need to moisturize their skin so that shedding is easier. I have found that not enough moisture causes retained shed that dries out and almost resembles scar tissues. Other than the moisturizer I take care of silks exactly like my other dragons.

Good thread by the way.

lynchy217

Original Poster
yes i actually heard that their skin was more fragile, and there was almost a discussion about whether than affects them breeding or not, but it was cut off by petty bickering. anyone ever breed silkies before? is their skin THAT fragile?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Its deff skin, and much more fragile than scales.
If I where to breed a silk it would be a male silk to a female (non Silk).
I find that normal everyday care does no damage to the skin. But Im always aware that its skin and not scales. So I check the pooper a little more often that a regular dragon.

Can you PM me the other forum this was on?? I would like to read that thread.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i find this thred interesting silkbacks are kind of new to the pet arena and i would like to learn more about them thanks for posting this!

lynchy217

Original Poster
I read that theyre actually mssing 2 layers of their epidermis, Also, if they absorb UVB faster, does that mean you can just get a weaker UVB light? I am really curious as to how they would hold up in breeding. Its really unfortunate how bad of a rep they have among the herp world. (or at least they did in 2007 when they came out) Thanks for your input guys! Tom, do you take any precautions to avoid sunburn from you lights/have you seen any problems like that? and what do you use to moisturize them? is there any specific type of lotion you use?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I use lotions instead of cream. It absorbs better. Non scented, hypo alergenic,(sp) with as little additives as possible. Curelle makes a good one.
Now I know of someone that just sprays them with shed ease every other day, but I have not tried this yet.

I use the same set up across the board. I use the same heat and lighting for all my dragons. So to answer your question No I dont use any precautions to avoid sunburn. Never noticed I had to either. I have a trans silkie right now. He is doing well, eating like a trucker and shedding almost non stop.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I too find silks interesting and have tossed around the idea of getting one someday. I do wonder about long term health, it would be nice to hear how some of the original silks have done over the years. I worry about cancer with high output UVB, especially after I read about how much UVB a normal dragons skin blocks.
I read some where that they shouldn't be used for breeding due to the possibility of wounds. Its safer to just use 2 leatherbacks in my opinion. There is still a lot of people who are against silks but luckily most members here won't start a fight or get nasty about it.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I have bred leathers. The female micro leathers skin tears during the mating process sometimes. Using that as a standard I would never breed a female silk. However I see nothing wrong with the male silk breeding.

lynchy217

Original Poster
That is another thing i was thinking about...the oldest one is 5 years old, so we dont really know how this affects their life expectancy or any of the long term effects. People who own them tend to say that they behave just like normal dragons in youth though, so thats a good sign. I would like to talk to alessandro about the health of his original clutch. and Im glad that this thread has had a lot less negative reactions than a lot of others on the topic. I really want to give one of these a shot.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Great thread! I had a lot of question regarding silkbacks and this helps a lot. I love petting my beardie but it always hurts! I would love having a smooth one :). Sounds like there are no major health related differences either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom