Sandstone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
I found a huge slab of sandstone down at a reptile store for $3, and I couldn't pass it up since I've been looking for a flat basking surface for a while now. I want to make sure I get it all cleaned off and disinfected before I put it in there with my beardie. So I rinsed it, and now it's in the oven baking at 250 for 45 mins. But as it's in the oven I can smell the bad..Rock smell?? throughout the house.
It smells really bad, but it just smells like a dirty rock would, lol.
Will this smell hurt my beardie? Or will it be fine to put it in with him although it smells like dirt? Or should I try scrubbing it?
Weird question I know...I would rather be safe then sorry though!!

ringfinger

Sub-Adult Member
After baking the smell should go away, then it should be just fine.

I've baked or boiled many rocks and pieces of driftwood for vivs and aquariums over the years. They all stink bad while cooking. It's usually a good idea to do it when nobody else is home... :lol:

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ringfinger":5a801 said:
After baking the smell should go away, then it should be just fine.

I've baked or boiled many rocks and pieces of driftwood for vivs and aquariums over the years. They all stink bad while cooking. It's usually a good idea to do it when nobody else is home... :lol:
The smell did go away :)
I actually realized it went away after I posted that, so I stuck it in with my beardie and he loves it!!
berdie":5a801 said:
are u sure it is a real sandstone

not like something painted to look like sand stone?
The guy at the store told me it is, I can break pieces off of it if I try...
Sandstone-slab-Cooper-sm.jpg

It looks like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom