Sanded or Non-Sanded Grout

Status
Not open for further replies.

RULDS2

What grout do you use on your fake rocks? I see some people have used non-sanded grout and I am not sure why. Is the sanded grout not stronger? Is there an advantage I am not seeing to using the non-sanded or a disadvatage to using the sanded? Thanks for your help and opinions.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
I haven't tried the non-sanded. From what I've seen, the people who use non-sanded sprinkle sand on it...which doesn't make much sense to me. I use sanded and it's great, looks good and I imagine that it takes less coats than non-sanded. I'm really not sure of the advantages of non-sanded, so maybe someone else can help you out with that.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
To be honest I think the no sanded is better because you don't have to completely coat the whole thing. I find the much nicer without the sand all over. I did it with non sanded and I find it looks so much better with the sand only in the high traffic areas. Also you don't put the sand in with the grout, the grout takes the same amount of time and coats, you put the sand on with the (FINAL coat)sealer.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
I got the same effect by just putting the sand on myself, the sanded grout went on much nicer, as the guy told me it would, looks better and plus with the advantage of being able to put my own sand on it saved me a few bucks, some time and I get it in the consistency I want in places I want.

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
If its sanded all over, say on my fake stairs, if he's climbing and his belly occasionally rubs on the stairs.. is it going to cause any type of scratches or scraps?

RULDS2

Original Poster
I lived in Australia for a year and I gotta tell ya, that place is just covered in rough gritty sandstone. Beardies live on these rocks. You have no worries about the abrasiveness of the sand.

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
RULDS2":3mjd96bg said:
I lived in Australia for a year and I gotta tell ya, that place is just covered in rough gritty sandstone. Beardies live on these rocks. You have no worries about the abrasiveness of the sand.

Thank you! I finished my final layer last night and used sanded grout - The only thing I didn't like was it seemed a lot harder to spread in some areas, almost clumpy, but it does look really good compared to the non sanded.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
I have just finished grouting my first attempt at a fake rock wall and I used sanded grout. I found it quite hard to apply when the mix was thick - it was rather like playing with wet sand - but I like the overall effect. I have yet to paint and seal it but i am pleased with it so far. :)

ecvernon

while building my backgrounds i have used both. the non-sanded is much easier to apply and covers very well, and even dries faster.. the sanded could be hard t apply at times. to achives the "sanded texture" just add sand in the last coat or while sealing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom