Sand?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend (who's really stubborn) decided to change my Beardie's VIV to sand today. Don't get me wrong, it's easier to clean and does look gorgeous!! It's ZooMed's Vita Sand. Many places have told us that this sand is fine because of how small it is and because it's calcium sand which will help with the digestive tract IF eaten. :?:

Even two of the books and a previous owner of a beardie that I talked to said sand was fine. But I'm so nervous about it. I'll admit that I'm paranoid, so the second he even closes his eyes on it, I get nervous.

Can you give me some input. Part of his VIV is sand and the other carpet. He seems to enjoy it. And we put some of his regular calcium powder on it too.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
This section has all the answers. Scroll up and click on this title :wink:

"Why shouldn't I use sand? (Read this, and you'll find out!)
by Jess » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 pm"

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Vita sand or calcium sand is awful, it clumps in there bellies like concrete (just get it wet and see, it clumps up). Calcium sand is worst than play sand. Babies should NEVER be housed on any kind of sand, and neither should adults really. Sand is not good to use as a substrate, you may think it is easier to clean but it will hold bacteria and moisture. Definitely read the sticky at the top of this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom