Sand - yea or nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf

Molotov is about 5 months old and I've been using terrarium carpet for a while now. I have no problem with it except for cleaning. Molotov usually does his business during baths I give him every other day, but occasionally he goes on the carpet. I'd imagine sand to be easier to clean. I started with sand when I first got him and it stained his skin.

My first question is, has anyone had any problems with impaction even if the sand claims to be "ultra fine"?

Second, I'm looking to buy this http://www.petco.com/product/107863/Zoo-Med-Vita-Sand-in-Sonoran-White.aspx. Has anyone had a problem with this brand staining skin?

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
A slew of "nays" will probably follow this post. Most of the experts on this forum will tell you that there's no such thing as completely safe sand, even ultra fine or "digestible" sand. Even putting the impaction risk aside, it still has a way of harboring bacteria, and can get into the eyes as well. It's just a risk not worth taking, when there are better options. For me, it's slate tile. Easy to clean, safe, warm, and wears their claws down some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom