Sand would solve problem.Is it an absolute NO?Plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoxy

Ok my problem is this. I have a 55 gallon tank with repti-carpet. But the crix keep getting under the carpet where the dragon can't eat them (not thats he's eating right now anyway, even after all i've tried). I tried to line the carpet with duct tape but they still get under it, except they get stuck to the tape leading to there death. And it would be annoying to have to re-line the carpet with tape every time he did his business (not that he's done that in the week that i've had him either). So sand would solve my problem. Is it really as bad as they say it is? i know about impaction and all, but i see people on here with sand. Someone please help with this, or the not eating/pooing thing. Had him for a week. Havn't seen him eat/poo :(

kmc5

Hatchling Member
I use non-sticking shelf liner by Rubbermaid for my gecko. It sticks to the floor nicely and crickets or mealworms cannot get under it. It can be removed for cleaning and easily wiped up when they poo on it. Concider this instead of sand.

** What I meant by non=sticking is that it does not have adhesive backing but it will sorta stick itself to the glass so it don't slide around and nothing can get under it. **

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
you could do what many of us do, which is feed your dragon in a seperate container other than his enclosure.

not only can they hide, posing a problem when it comes to catching them, but they can come out at night and bite your dragon.

cricket bites, added up over time, can lead to missing extremities(tail and fingertips) which will not grow back.

i would say sand is not worth the risk in this instance. i could see if you have a female who needed to lay eggs but even in that case there are some good alternatives to sand.

have you tried tile? i think if you gave it a try you would like it. tiles can be pulled up individually if they get pooped on and if you lay them tightly nothing can crawl under them. just make sure you choose a rought textured tile; not a smooth or slick one.

neecie

Juvie Member
I have tile, without grout. Originally fed in the big tank, but crickets found a way under..........then I read about NOT feeding there cuz crickets can come out from hiding places and nibble on beardie. That Did It --
started taking her to another 10 gal tank I only use for feeding crickets - she gets all she wants for 15 minutes or she gets filled. The tiles are great for clean up and give a nice look to the tank. I never had sand, but heard that it starts to stink after a while cuz you can't clean up dropping that you don't readily see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom