sand pit/box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupe

I know sand isn't a safe substrate but I was wondering if it would be ok to have a sand box type area in the viv, maybe in a corner with mostly high walls to keep sand from being thrown around the viv.
I know beardies like to dig so I thought this would be something they would enjoy.
Would this be okay for an older beardie?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
For an older dragon, this is an ok idea as long as you use play sand, and you're willing to toss it all out every time they poo in it (play sand is like $5 for 25 pounds, so it doesn't hurt your wallet THAT bad unless they're doing it every day.) I've tried this with my adults though, and they've never cared. Dora just treated it like any other obstacle on her viv that required being run into and out of 3 million times a day and thus tracking sand everywhere, and the only time Gibby even bothered to get in was on hot days I couldn't get the viv temp down enough so he could dig down to the cool sand and curl up. His hide seemed to be just as acceptable though. Ultimatly, it's up to you and how your dragon feels about it, but as long as he's full grown, go for it if you want.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I actually overestimated in my above post- Play sand is about $5 for 50 pounds at Home Depot or Lowes or Ace. Basically any hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom