Sand and Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
on that note no op your not naive not every dragon on sand will get impacted,just some people tend to make little things into big things,just keep doing your thing

everything these days can pose a threat to a dragon one way or another.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Rud3Bwoy":1bfsywip said:
Jess":1bfsywip said:
I've HAD dragons who lived in sand who ended up with a bad result! :banghead:

Totally denying that there is any risk at all and ignoring the posts other poeple have made about their experience is incredibly ignorant. I know many breeders who only use non-particle substrate.

So you shouldn't ask questions on this forum, because not everyone is telling you what you want to hear?

let's be honest here every sand topic that is posted here is always responded with negatives,people here make it seem as if sand 100 percent bad which is false and you guys should not be doing that to members on the forum,i for one will not do that to members off the community,anyway this is my last response,good luck op with your choice

I don't think anyone has said horrible, negative things about sand in this thread. They stated their experience, and why they recommend non-particle substrate. Whick is exaclty what the OP asked for.

Actually, I've had many perfectly civil conversations with people about loose substrate. It's actually possible when you RESPECT other people's opinions, instead of calling them ignorant because YOUR short-lived experience was different. Like I said, I don't care what people use for a substrate as long and they make an EDUCATED AND INFORMED DECISIONS, instead of saying "Oh, so-and-so does it so it must be OK!" and then being surprised when their pet dies.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
Rud3Bwoy":1cdfx3s2 said:
on that note no op your not naive not every dragon on sand will get impacted,just some people tend to make little things into big things,just keep doing your thing

everything these days can pose a threat to a dragon one way or another.

Thought you were done.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Please keep in mind that not all beardie owners had bad experiences with using sand as the primary form of substrate. It is highly discouraged to keep babies on sand, due to their need to lick everything and their inexperience to be a 'neat' eater.

For those who come on this site and ask the question of "to sand or not to sand" are typically looking for the negatives, to learn about how bad it could potentially be to a beardie's health, and if impaction does occur, how to properly treat it.

There should never be a need to bash or ridicule anyone for using sand. Everyone has their own preferences and despite known health dangers, people will continue to go against the norm and do what they think is best. All we can do as a community is to teach and give personal experiences as a reference.

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
Goonie":34a2co8l said:
Please keep in mind that not all beardie owners had bad experiences with using sand as the primary form of substrate. It is highly discouraged to keep babies on sand, due to their need to lick everything and their inexperience to be a 'neat' eater.

For those who come on this site and ask the question of "to sand or not to sand" are typically looking for the negatives, to learn about how bad it could potentially be to a beardie's health, and if impaction does occur, how to properly treat it.

There should never be a need to bash or ridicule anyone for using sand. Everyone has their own preferences and despite known health dangers, people will continue to go against the norm and do what they think is best. All we can do as a community is to teach and give personal experiences as a reference.

well said.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Goonie":37vd8whh said:

Gina, we are being bashed and ridiculed for sharing the negatives. Noone here was bashing anyone for using sand :?

Jess

Extreme Poster
MissT":1tp7lm5z said:
Goonie":1tp7lm5z said:

Gina, we are being bashed and ridiculed for sharing the negatives. Noone here was bashing anyone for using sand :?

Exactly! :?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
May I also add that, seeing it from a Moderator perspective, there are way too many cross bashings amongst the members in regards to using sand. If someone is giving their own bad experience as an example to an OP's question, DO NOT under any circumstance start an argument on how they don't know what they're talking about or how all they're trying to do is brainwash (to put it nicely) the entire beardie community to not use sand. Again, they're telling their own story and that's is allowed. What isn't allowed is someone preaching against something when they don't have experience or facts to back it up.

If I continue to see discussions/arguments on how someone doesn't know what s/he is talking about, or attempt to start another verbal war, all parties involved will 1) receive a warning then 2) a 1-day ban if it continues.
Period.

archaic37

Original Poster
Sooooooooooooooooo.... back to my question if no sand then what would be a recommended flooring? I would like to avoid Sani-Chips they bug me and the beardies have problems with them.

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Newspaper, Papertowels, Rough tile, non adhesive shelving paper, repti carpet, reptitiles. I personally use paper towels.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
tile (slate or ceramic)
non self-stick linoleum
shelf liner
paper towel
repicarpet

that's all I can think of at the moment

hope that helps
Larry

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
archaic37":65blwmro said:
Has anyone considered using weed control sheets? http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Landscape-Supplies-Weed-Barrier-Underlayment/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx4q/R-202214393/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I figure for $50 and you get 200+feet of it its not much different then repticarpet. You can do a few layers of it and just take off a layer once its soiled?

go with the tile,the money u will end up spending on that carpet constantly you could just put towards a critter condo which cost 165 which u can quick clean the floor with out no tile or anything extra added

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I wouldn't use the weed control carpet. Not only are they expensive, but your beardie's little nails could easily get caught and pulled in the fabric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom