Safe to use an essential oil diffuser in the same room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody! I just wanted to double check that it is safe to use an essential oil diffuser in the same room as my baby bearded dragon. He is ~3 months old, and I won’t be using tea tree oil since that is usually unsafe for most pets. Most often I will be using Lavender, Eucalyptus, and a combination that includes those with Frankensense, Ylang Ylang, Sweet Orange, and lemon grass

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's all dependent on what essential oils you'll be burning, you need to do specific searches for each essential oil you are going to use, and check to see if it is known to have any bad interactions or effects on Reptiles in-general, not just Bearded Dragons. Each essential oil is totally different than the next, some are perfectly fine, some are lethal.

Either way, keep the diffuser away from your dragon's tank so that it's no where near him, so that he won't be breathing any of it in directly, as they are very susceptible to Upper Respiratory Infections and irritations. I'm a parrot owner so I can't use ANY types of oil diffusers, scented candles, etc. as birds can be killed almost instantly from breathing-in such things, so I haven't done a whole lot of research on individual essential oils and reptiles, I just don't use them. However, you're correct about Tea Tree Oil, it's not recommended for use around birds or reptiles. As for any other ones, the best advice is to individually search each different oil you use, and if you see any negative indications then do not use it in the same room as your dragon, it's just not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom