Sad Scene @ Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
So we were in Petsmart and of course I wanted to go see the beardie babies.. Well this is what we found.. They were so small I swear they look like they just hatched.. They were maybe 3-4 inches head to tail... I wanted to get both of them so bad but we just don't have room for 2 more right now.. Its just sad b/c they are so so little :( And the temps were only 80!
7608e7b0.jpg

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Rule one: NEVER look at animals in the pet store unless you're willing to buy one.

Even in the best conditions at the best stores, your still going to see animals in too small cages (just think of those poor puppies and kittens in those crates for who knows how long. I once saw the same english bulldog pup in a pet store for 2 months before someone bought it. I couldn't help but to wonder what kind of behavioral problems that created.), or you're gonna run across something too cute, and irresistible at the worst possible time.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I agree about not looking but curiosity ALWAYS kills the cat..lol The one on the bottom looked like a leatherback of some sort... He was sooo wittle..

Jess

Extreme Poster
I can't help but look at them too... And then complain to the employees what they are doing wrong. :p

Did they mist them too? It looks like there is water on the back of the cage. They should at least know that beardies aren't tropical...

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I know I saw all of the cOndensation too! They have a HUGE water bowl in there that they would drowned in if they fell in it

RowenJade

Juvie Member
That one on top of the log has an adorable face...wish pet stores would actually do some research on the animals in their care...

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Looking at the pic and at least I don't see sand in there. That's one good thing. But other than that, sooo tiny :shock:

Livey

Extreme Poster
:(.. i agree i never EVER look at animals. thats why i ended up buying Tiny tots..

Being that I work in the Pet Care department at a Petsmart, I thought I'd post a little about how we care for our beardies in the store I work in =)

Being a Corporation, Petsmart has "rules" that we must at least somewhat follow in the care of all our animals. Most of them are just for cleanliness and appearance purposes. There are picture sheets on where decorations should go in tanks, etc., and a schedule for what cleanings get done on what day. Our store tends to bend a few of these rules for the betterment of our animals, and to just help cut down on waste. (For example, we don't often feed as much petblock to our small animals as corporate would have it, since not many of them ever actually eat it and it just gets wasted.)

The temperature and humidity in the reptile enclosure that most or all Petsmart's should have are both difficult to control for each individual animals housed. The idea though is that none of these enclosure are permanent, and we stress VERY CLEARLY to customers that. No pet store cage should ever be used as an model toward a permanent housing in one's home when they take a pet home, regardless of the animal's species. We feed our young beardies (and they ARE young. They just come in from our source that way, unfortunately....) a mix of crickets of proper size and salads at our store. They're temps are kind of in the "middle" of hot and cold, since they cannot really move around their enclosure in order to regulate themselves. And also a lot of the times you'll notice that the higher up tanks in the reptile fixture are warmer just because heat rises =/

The fact that they come in small is really unfortunate, I think.... But at the same time I am glad they don't come in much larger, because then I don't know where we could even put them! It's kind of a win-some-lose-some situation...

And the biggest part of carrying any of these animals is education on the customer's part. We spend 2-3 hours with some customers because they want to know how to properly keep their pet for it's entire life, and I *love* people like that. Then there's customers that come in saying "I just want a pet for my child," essentially to shut said child up. To these people we either make sure they walk out with all the necessary equipment to keep their pet, or deny them from buying any animal from the store. People like that do not need to make animals miserable just so they don't have to listen to their child whine. =( It's a fine line to walk between judging whether someone will really take care of a pet we sell them or not...

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you guys some of my store's dealings in beardies ^_^ I have a decent part-time job at Petsmart, and I'm very lucky to work in one of the best Pet Care departments in the country! If you guys have any specific questions on the care we give any of our animals in my store (I can't speak for other stores XD) let me know ;)

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
@ thefatunicorn... I will say that the store itself is lucky to have an employee like u that is so knowledgable about animal care and the customer is also lucky.. If people would just do a little research on their own instead of telling everyone what they've been trained to say... I just wish half of the employees i've run into around here knew half of what they were talking about.. Unfortunately they give out wrong info just like the majority of every other pet store around here.. Keep up the good work! :lol:

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
My Kimba was a PetSmart purchase (little cutie was glass dancing at me daily when I came in. I had to visit like three times on week for kitty/parrot stuff. So either he glass danced for everyone, or really liked me. LOL!). He was so tiny. They are nice at our PetSmart, but you know, if I hadn't already had a bearded dragon, and bless you guys, found this board, I'm not sure he would have come through like a champ. He's nine months old, and really big.

Thank you, Slave2Scarlett!! =)

And yeah, it's soooooo hard for us to know everything about every animal we carry... Luckily most of us have had at least some experience with a lot of them... So we know at least the basic necessities, like tank size, lighting, substrate, etc... It helps a lot when we've actually had some experience keeping certain animals XD

I'm incredibly grateful to this board for all it's info! It will both help me keep our little newcomer healthy and happy (Omg just paid for her in full today!! Exciting!!) but it will also help me hep customers with their beardies better! =D

warnisha

Juvie Member
I know at our petsmart the lizards are very well cared for. They have an amazing knowlegable manager who helped us out tremendously. I have seen this manager on many occassions interacting with the lizards and I feel comfortable buying from there. However, our petco is not as good it is quite sad to see the care of their lizards. They had to have had a change in managers becuase they used to be the nicest place! I am wary of buying from pet stores however after talking with this manager at our petsmart I was much more comfortable. The manager also expressed the dislike of the animals coming in so young!

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
thefatunicorn":1qy6ed5p said:
I'm incredibly grateful to this board for all it's info! It will both help me keep our little newcomer healthy and happy (Omg just paid for her in full today!! Exciting!!) but it will also help me hep customers with their beardies better! =D

Congrats!

(Just as a side note - I saw you have a green cheek. Congrats! I bet he's a little clown. They're such cute birds. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom