Runt of litter*not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5 bearded dragons. When I got the bearded dragons, we had one large one, 3 regular sized ones, and the runt that wasn't really that small when we got him. Well, the large one has gotten larger, the regular sized ones are larger, and smiley is still the size she was when we got him. Maybe a little bit bigger, but now way smaller then the other 4. He eats a ton, he is active, he does the same as the rest and has never had issues. I now have seperated the girls from the boys, so smiley is only in a cage with Hot Rod now. They don't fight, and I think that smiley is actually eating more then hot rod at this point. Why is he so small? The rest seem to be doing well and growing like weeds, but smiley is not. He was the runt of the litter when we got him, and we asked my one daughter if she was sure she wanted him. She said that "he chose her" LOL. He is very active and doesn't seem to be having issues other then his size. But I am worried that something is going on. I am using 100 watt bulbs, I have water dishes that they drink from regularly. They go thru A LOT of crickets. We just converted over my old dresser into a cage for them that we have seperated into 2 sections, Boy side and girls side. It's HUGE, so they have more then enough room. They all look like they are about to grow again, so I am hoping that Smiley gets bigger now and I don't have to worry so much, but I have to wonder. I will post pictures of his size vs. theirs. They are all the same size other then the larger one who is 2 months older (I think). On measuring today Smiley is measuring 20 cm, Happy feet 22 1/2 cm, Isabelle is 25 cm, Hot rod is 29 cm, and Sarah is 36 cm.
photo.php

photo.php

Happy feet is the smallest one.
So what do you think?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
They all need their own separate enclosures. They are a territorial species and will turn to dominance and fighting. Possibility of injury is likely when you house beardies together. To the actual question, all dragons grow at different rates. As long as the small one is eating and is healthy then I wouldn't worry too much. Are they all from the same clutch? BTW your images didn't show.

TheGoodParent

Original Poster
Thanks. I thought it was OK for the boys to be in one cage and the girls in another. I have seperated them by sex. Do I have to get them all their own cages? The woman who I bought them from had the girls in one cage and the boys in another. She said it should be OK as long as I don't have the boys and girls together in a cage (breeding as an exception). Yes they are all from the same Clutch, no I will not breed them with each other. They haven't been violent with each other really. Sorry about the pictures. I can't figure out how to post the pictures on here, I guess.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Easiest way to post pictures is through photobucket.com, grab a free account upload the pictures to photobucket and then use the image code in the text window.

They all should be separated in their own enclosures.

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
5 dragons = 5 cages
5 dragons = 5 UVB lights
5 dragons = 5 basking lights
5 dragons = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Give them time they will fight. It's probably smaller because it's being dominated by the other dragons and not getting the proper UVB and heat it needs to digest all those crickets it eats in order to grow.

TheGoodParent

Original Poster
Basically what we have been told is that Dragons actually live better together because if not they get lonely. Their life span is higher when you have more then one in a cage. They also have Beardies in cages together at all stores that sell them. So how can they not live together? I mean, they are very social animals IMO, and they love having each other around. When I seperated Smiley to begin with, he got lonely and would just sit at the glass looking at the other 4. This was when he first came home and they were all in the same tank. Now the boys are seperated from the girls and he just has HotRod. HotRod and him get along great and the girls get along great with eachother. From what I have read too, they say they might fight but when the original pecking order is settled and they have domenance they will get along just fine. So it confuses me when you tell me that they need to be in seperate tanks.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I realize things can get confusing when you are learning. Especially if you have been given conflicting information. Think of it this way, we are giving you this advice for a reason. Our reasoning is we want you to have the best experience possible, for you and your dragons equally. Now please ask yourself one simple question, why would we recommend you to separate them if there was no concern?

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded dragons are social creatures, they love attention. However, in the wild, once they reach maturity, they need so much territory in order to survive that they become solitary except when looking for love. While Smiley might have been lonely, it would have passed. Your best move would be separate now, before they reach maturity and their hormones kick in. That is the real dangerous time.

As for them wanting to be together, as it has been noted already, they love attention. So give them lots of one on one cuddle time and they will be happy. If you keep an eye on them, you can also let them roam around the house together. Some members have been lucky and their beardies get along. Others, like me, can't let their dragons see each other without WW3 happening.

TheGoodParent

Original Poster
Well, I haven't been able to get new cages yet. We are the in process of making their new cages. Anyways, he has been moved to a bigger cage with hot rod and is no longer near the girls. Once the new cage is done, the boys will be separated. That being said, since moving them to a bigger cage, he has grown a ton. Him and Hot Rod are getting along still, so I haven't been in a huge rush, and with him growing as fast as he is, I am less concerned. Soon, I will have the new cage for the boys and they will be separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom