Runny poops - insight appreciated!

Ldelprince

Beardie name(s)
Gaia
Sorry for the long post! I’m a first time reptile owner and have had my bearded dragon for 6 months now.

It has been about 3 months now that she has not had a 100% solid poop. The urate is always bright white and formed, followed by runny and smelly stool. Lots of water/hydration comes out with her stool. I have taken her to the vet twice to run a fecal, both times were fresh poops (literally taken on the counter at the vet lol) and both came back negative for parasites. Vet says she is one of the healthiest looking bearded dragons she has ever seen or cared for. I’m just at a loss because when she was a baby, her poops were formed/solid logs.

She is a strong eater and rotates between BSFL and dubia roaches (1 bug feed MOST days - she is 10 months old so starting to cut back on bugs - but even when she was getting daily bugs this was happening). Roaches are always dusted in calcium + D3, and a multi vitamin once per week. BSFL are not dusted because their calcium/phosphorus ratio is perfect for beardies. She does get the occasional horn worm (rare) or wax worm as a treat. I am extremely thoughtful of what I feed her because I do not want her to be obese or grow too fast, and she would literally never stop eating if I let her.
She LOVES her greens and has always gotten about 1/2 cup of organic collard greens mixed with organic dandelion greens. Occasionally I will add a few radish greens or celery greens, basil, or other misc leafy greens I have. But her daily staple is organic collard/dandelion. Her appetite is anlways amazing and she is still energetic and playful. She does sometimes go in her hide during the day for a nap, but basks multiple hours per day.

She has a 6x2x2 enclosure with the hot side getting to about 88-95 degrees ambient (101-107 degree basking surface temp), and the cool side around 73-82 ambient during the day (70-75 at night while lights are off) depending on the weather/time of year (we are in a cooler climate). Her basking bulb is 150w on a 12 he timer. I do have a second 100w bulb that I will sometimes manually turn on depending on the weather/temp of our house & temp gradient of her enclosure. I have a 36” Arcadia ProT5 14% tube bulb with D3 that has recently been changed.

Since both fecals have come back negative I’m just at a loss. The vet said she might be getting too many greens, that 1/2 cup is a lot for a juvenile bearded dragon? But I’ve cut way back on the amount and even skip a day all together like once a week or so and still, runny poops. I feel bad cutting her greens back bc she eats them all right away! Never leaves any.

At a total loss and wondering if this is just normal for her? It’s hard to know what to do next. I don’t live in a city with many exotic vet options, and I’m wondering if maybe I need to switch her to a different one. I will literally do whatever to make sure she is healthy!

Pics attached of a couple poops from last couple months. One is fresh from when she was climbing, one had been absorbed into a paper towel a bit, one in the water… I haven’t been able to get a pic in about a month bc she has started this new behavior of ONLY pooping in a warm bath. 3-4 days will go by with no poop (I know they become less frequent as they age), so I’ll put her in a warm bath and she goes within minutes. But then it’s dispersed in the water & I can’t get a good picture. Pics of her too bc she’s a beauty and i love her

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning up runny poops is getting tiresome and I MISS when they were mostly formed. It also can’t be fun for her to have the runs all the time!

Positivity only - I’m not interested in any toxic or rude comments. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_7043.jpeg
    IMG_7043.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4426.jpeg
    IMG_4426.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4427.jpeg
    IMG_4427.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4942.jpeg
    IMG_4942.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 27

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beautiful dragon , love the colors ! The loose poos are a result of her greens -heavy diet. She is one of the dragons that loves her greens and that will produce the mushy stools. Nothing wrong with her, you can reduce both the insects as well as the greens now, try about half the amount of the salads she had been getting. She should be fine . :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a side point but you can use regular calcium without D3 since the uvb from the bulb is what helps them produce D3 . Plus your multi vitamin likely contains D3. Even if it doesn't, it's best to use calcium with D3 only once a week very lightly.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
She is a gorgeous dragon and a good size for her age :)
AHBD said everything, just couldn't srcoll along without mentioning how beautiful she is ;)

Ldelprince

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gaia
Just a side point but you can use regular calcium without D3 since the uvb from the bulb is what helps them produce D3 . Plus your multi vitamin likely contains D3. Even if it doesn't, it's best to use calcium with D3 only once a week very lightly.

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! Definitely makes me feel better, but also just makes me a little bit more hesitant towards the exotic vet she currently sees. She told me I should be using calcium powder with D3 for every single bug feed..... She is technically an AVBP (avian) so I'm thinking I need to find one more specialized in reptiles. Difficult in my area!

Ldelprince

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gaia
She is a gorgeous dragon and a good size for her age :)
AHBD said everything, just couldn't srcoll along without mentioning how beautiful she is ;)
Thank you so much for the response :) I feel reassured.

& I agree, she is an absolute beauty! Spent many, many months finding a very reputable/ethical breeder that really focuses on solid genetics & overall health. She said Gaia (my beardies name) is one of the longest she has ever hatched.

The reptile trade can be really scary and awful, and I didn't want to contribute! I would like to take in a rescue next now that I am more familiar with the species and proper husbandry.

Morri

Beardie name(s)
Zoom
She is absolutely beautiful! I can't help but laugh at the poop pics, she seems to share my girl's interest in pooping in places that are the most awkward to clean up! :D

Ldelprince

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gaia
Gonna post one last picture I apologize! Should I be concerned about the pink tinged area between her urate and stool?
IMG_5695.jpeg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is definitely beautiful! I totally agree with AHBD,
she does eat a lot of greens so that is most likely going to be the culprit. At least she eats her greens. There
are so many whose dragons wont eat them at all.
She is very lucky to have such a large tank, that is
terrific!
The Arcadia D3 14% T5 tube bulb is a great bulb & will
last awhile. You wont need D3 very often because she
synthesizes adequate D3 from the UVB exposure.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom