runny poop o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
so my girly has taken up to eating a lot of squash and greens and superworms lately. ever since she switched her diet her poop has been gross. the urate is normal the rest is just a little bit more.. wet. is it just from the veggies and new worms? she's not losing weight or anything (actually has put on like 50 grams in the past 2 weeks) and is healthy as a horse i just wondered what it is so i can try and fix this. it's not fun to clean up. LOL.

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
Was her poop hard before? It really isn't supposed to be hard. It should be well-formed, but soft, and there is often some accompanying liquid. In all honesty it sounds more to me as if your lizard's poop was previously unhealthy and has become healthier, but I would need more details about what her diet was like before this.

As far as it not being fun to clean up goes, what substrate are you using? Newspaper makes cleanup a cinch and it's much safer for beardies than any form of sand, wood chips, walnut shells, etc. Also, it is possible to teach them not to potty in their tank, but instead to go only in a certain place, such as outside in the grass or in their bath. My Sunset almost never goes in his tank; 99% of the time he waits until bathtime and then goes. (For this reason I make sure to bathe him every other day at minimum if not daily.)

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lurhstaap":zrmzhcg9 said:
Was her poop hard before? It really isn't supposed to be hard. It should be well-formed, but soft, and there is often some accompanying liquid. In all honesty it sounds more to me as if your lizard's poop was previously unhealthy and has become healthier, but I would need more details about what her diet was like before this.

As far as it not being fun to clean up goes, what substrate are you using? Newspaper makes cleanup a cinch and it's much safer for beardies than any form of sand, wood chips, walnut shells, etc. Also, it is possible to teach them not to potty in their tank, but instead to go only in a certain place, such as outside in the grass or in their bath. My Sunset almost never goes in his tank; 99% of the time he waits until bathtime and then goes. (For this reason I make sure to bathe him every other day at minimum if not daily.)

i honestly have no idea what she was eating before we got her. but when we brought her home a few weeks ago she was only eating crickets (wouldn't touch her greens). now that she's started eating different things ( she LOVES mushy squash and likes her cilantro and turnip greens dry, and superworms are her favorite) i've noticed the change.
it wasn't hard before it was more solid but since she's started eating these things it got squishier if that makes sense. not like liquid but wetter? we use paper towels for now and she does usually go in her bath but she's still only 11 inches & growing so she goes twice and we cant always catch her the second time. she's a sneak!

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
Sneaky girl, doing stealth bath poops! My boy, thankfully, tends to do it all at once and get it done with; once he goes he goes and that's it.

From what I have been reading the change in stool is normal and due to the shift in her diet, yes. It is normal for young dragons, when babies, to want only insects, but to then begin wanting more and more plant matter as they get older. And as beardies get a lot of their hydration from what they eat, and since plant material has a lot more liquid in it than insect bodies do without all the hard stuff to go along with it, you can see why the poops would be somewhat softer and wetter. They're just made of the remains of stuff that was softer and wetter to begin with. So absent any other changes in her routine I would say she's just fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom